• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Student ranking in Yr 11? (1 Viewer)

DARA92

HSC
N/A
Does your school rank the students in Year 11?
Does it have any effect on HSC?

Gigacube

HSC
Yes. My school has ranked us in our reports since year 7.

It has no effect on the HSC at all.

DARA92

HSC
N/A
Yes. My school has ranked us in our reports since year 7.

It has no effect on the HSC at all.
I mean: Do all school rank their students in Year 11? Even though there is no ranking from yr 7 to yr 10.

Will the school est. your HSC score by your Year 11 results?

Gigacube

HSC
I'm not sure if all schools rank their students in year 11. You should ask your teacher if you don't know.

If you need an estimate ATAR they'll use your year 11 results but this can vary from school to school.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Our school ranks us for Year 11, however I think we need to request it.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
My school ranked us since year 7. They had a "Designated class" where they kept the top 30 students together and then the rest of the cohort were "mixed". When your rank fell below 30, you got replaced. The class had all the schools resources funnelled in it and the rest of the cohort was left pretty much high and dry. The stress of maintaining an unknown rank in year 7 [they didn't tell you your rank] caused a lot of breakdowns...
But then the principle decided that was elitism and then abolished the entire concept of a "designated class" and yeah. Aw man, I don't wanna be ranked D: How embarrassing if you come like dead last D:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
we generally didnt get ranks from yr 7-10 but you could request them.. or rather take a peak at the ranking sheets when the teachers werent looking

I'd be surprised if schools didnt give ranks in year 11 though

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
My school ranked us since year 7. They had a "Designated class" where they kept the top 30 students together and then the rest of the cohort were "mixed". When your rank fell below 30, you got replaced.
we had the same system, but the rankings and classes were based solely on english. Maths was by itself and wasnt inclusive to that, however.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
we had the same system, but the rankings and classes were based solely on english. Maths was by itself and wasnt inclusive to that, however.
I think ours was kind of an overall thing. Don't ask me how they did it, but they somehow managed to put all your subjects into one rank or something :S

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I think ours was kind of an overall thing. Don't ask me how they did it, but they somehow managed to put all your subjects into one rank or something :S
probably add up all the ranks and order it in terms of the lowest added number? lol no idea, but its not very consistent bcoz people do diff subjects

i moved down into the mixed classes in year 10 though :( my school's ranked like 160 so i had a lot of duds in my classes. Still, in the sc (lol) and hsc i beat basically all the people who were in the 'top' class, all those years ago, so it really doesn't matter in the end i guess. As long as you peak in the hsc you're fine :D

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
My school had top classes for science and english and all classes were ranked in maths from 7-10
and the kids that came 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the course got awards, but we didn't know specific ranks. Although, my English teacher said I was 35 in year 7 and there were 30 in the top class, so they must've ranked everyone they just didn't tell us.
In year 11 they gave us our rankings for everything.
My rankings are in my sig.
They even had a top ten overall. But they just told us we were ranked 2-10/123 rather than our actual rank.
Exactly. That's fail
In English Standard I have to ask for my rank all the time and the bitch still won't tell me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)