• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Students req. to solve superannuation problems from first sylabus??? (2 Viewers)

C

Chrisssss

Edit: Yes I'm aware the topic says 'first syllabus'- it should be 'first principals'. Apologies for any confusion.

Does the current mathematics syllbus require students to know how to solve superannuation problems from first principals or is it possible to simply use the derived formula?

Responses are appreciatied.

HSC
In most cases you will be able to get away with using the formula but you are required to know how to do it from first principles.

My maths teacher used to tell us that no matter what the question was write it in terms of a series and work from there, because you're never wrong.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yes, in 2-unit you need to be able to solve these type of questions from first principles.

nottellingu

HSC
Learn to do it by first principles - this pretty much just involves writing 3 amounts out and then showing that a part forms a g.p and then using the summation formula. You can always double check ur answer with the formula.

YannY

HSC
not that easy. for example 1/sqrtx. alot of first principles are actually hard, most of them in the HSC are easy but note when i say 'most' and not all.

C

Chrisssss

Thanks for the responses; I was just checking since the first example I saw made it appear a daunting task but after the first couple I've realised it's easy and it's true that writing any question in terms of a series at first will increase the likelihood of a correct answer due to a better understanding of the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)