• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Study guide! (2 Viewers)

olegna

HSC
Anyone have any suggestions for a good study guide for Advanced English?

I do the electives: Imaginative Journeys (Coleridge), In The Wild (BR & BNW), Powerplay (Antony & Cleopatra) and Speeches.

The guide should be adequate to use as a guide in studying for the Trials.

It would be great if someone who has actually bought a guide and used it could comment on their experiences and what is a good guide.

Thanks in advance!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
By this stage you should really be able to use your notes to revise during the trials, as they will serve you like no other. Especially since a study guide will have been developed in trains of thought that are not only different to how you may have been taught but which for the most part contain quite shallow analyses of the texts.

HSC
N/A
They're good for quick refreshes though, and quotes-at-a-glance. I had almost totally forgotten one of the Eng Adv texts coming up to the HSC trials - a quick phonecall to a friend/quick breeze through her studyguide made everything good again within the space of five minutes :D

olegna - would it not have been possible to create ONE thread in General discussion of the 2006 HSC and say "I'm doing _____, ____ and ______ subjects, what are good study guides?" rather than posting a separate thread in at least two or three HSC forums that I've seen so far? :(

olegna

HSC
Yes... my notes... about that..
See, when I began the HSC year, I wasn't exactly dedicated to getting a good mark, and most of the time I wrote down the notes and then lost them again in massive dumps of ripped up notebooks... Don't ask.
So you see, THAT is my predicament.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well if you are desperate, there is always the Excel books - they cover all of the texts I believe and they're quite easy to find. Alternatively, I know Phoenix Education publishes a study guide which is fairly comprehensive and in-depth though its much harder to find.

olegna

HSC
Do you think that Phoenix guide would be available at a Five Senses store? I mean, if THEY don't have it, I can't guess who would.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
olegna said:
Do you think that Phoenix guide would be available at a Five Senses store? I mean, if THEY don't have it, I can't guess who would.
I honestly don't know - the only copy I've seen of it was the one my english teacher possessed.

olegna

HSC
Anyone else recommend anything other than the Excel books?

happiness

HSC
Excel English books suck. If you're doing Imaginative Journeys, get Top Notes. As for BNW/BR, nothing beats Suzan Pattinson's edAssist study notes. These are hard to obtain unless you go to the lecture yourself, but if you're interested I can get you a copy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)