• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

study help (1 Viewer)

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
does ne 1 have ne ideas how to better yourself at english???

how do u study for english??

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Practice essays, practice essays, practice essays... then have a *competent* teacher mark it.

Also, read some articles about how to improve writing essays/papers (the best sites are by universities) e.g. http://law.anu.edu.au/StudyTools/TableofContents.html

And so on...

Read the syllabus and find out what you have to do. What you have to do is only about a paragraph, underline the keywords, write synonyms for it, then re-write the Module and Elective statements in your own words. It helps a lot.

E.g. for Module B: Speeches, the whole module revolved around context (where/when), techniques (how), and the ideas (what). Make notes on those sort of things and it'll be easier to structure your essays...

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
What i did during year 12 was made notes on the modules...which were quite thorough..and made sure that i understand the topic well..and then took a general topic for the essay...and wrote a draft essay..and kept editing it until i knew it was perfect or looked perfect..i mean there was a flow in what i was trying to say in the essay..once i had a speech for a module..i edited it like 13-14 times to come up with something which is to the point, answered the question and there is a flow in the points i am stating.

So yeah...once done with my essays...learnt em..i.e. memorised em, timed my each essay to fit in 40 min. Each one was about 1100-1200 words. Then took past papers and practiced essays.
And...for AOS...make sure u practice as many papers as u can..as u go and do em u'd realise that u are improving.
And keep upto date..i mean when u are doing a module in class make sure that u are concentrating on writing your general essay. At my school people left it to just before the trials..and i was prepared for my essays so prolly it was less stress compared to others.

i got 84 by this work :) and i am happy since its around top 1% of Standard English and this is what i always aimed for. So yeah 1stly make sure that u have a specific goal in mind and then work towards it.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
the most important thing: keep up to date!
if u fall behind once, then you'll be falling behind for the rest of the year. its really important u stay organised and up to date. if u can do this, u'll b cruising in the entire year.

another thing, do heaps of exam papers, past papers, eassy questions, read your texts, understand them and if u can, read other people's work (not to copy, but like to mark em...)

you should also get ur teacher to look at ur essays and creative writing stuff - just so that u know what ur doing right and what ur doing wrong.

another thing is to FOLLOW THE SYLLABUS - everything i did something for english; weather it be an assignment or a study thing, i always had the criteria beside me where i could see it, and read what was needed for a band 6 question

and! write detailed notes on every topic that u do - detailed but breif at the same time

... thats all i did in 03 and i came in the top 1% of the state :)

anywayz, good luck! and just post up any problems u have... i might b able to help ya :)

Last edited:

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
to perfectionist: thanks for that tip even though i dont do standard i do advanced i like this idea thankyou!
Your welcome :D
i feel glad when i help people :)

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
my main aim is to pass english but improve alot

my only good area with english is listening...
i was ranked 16/100 the rest of the english stuff was all crap

this was for prelim

^___^
HSC
memorise heaps of quotes that focuses on themes and technique
cos thats the two main areas of english and most likely area that will be asked

by shoving in quotes, it makes things so much easier to express and will also show markers that u know ur stuff

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by ...
memorise heaps of quotes that focuses on themes and technique
cos thats the two main areas of english and most likely area that will be asked

by shoving in quotes, it makes things so much easier to express and will also show markers that u know ur stuff

n u just make up these quotes??
or u mean get them from the book

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
OOoooooOOOOoooo i am learning more here about stuff than at skool what does this say
I didn't learn much at school at all.. ..either tutors or my own effort! :D

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
How did I improve my English skills? Two things I did last yr-

A) I did a lot of practice essays for set texts during the yr, as many as possible. We had 3 text for Eng & did one movie - I focused on 2 only, thus could learn more on the background/plot/characters. Although, I know some teachers would be very much against the idea as you don't want to go into the exams and find you cannot answer a question on one of the 2 texts you studied for.

B) To improve/build up my vocabulary I read the newspaper everyday, any new words I came across I wrote them down (4-5 per day) looked the word up in a dictionary and wrote the definition out - this was the recommenced method my teacher told me to use.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz

you should also get ur teacher to look at ur essays and creative writing stuff - just so that u know what ur doing right and what ur doing wrong.

lolz....if u have a crap teacher then u have to become ur own teacher...hehe like me :D....i got a mark in mid 80's and i did exactly wat perfectionist did!....:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)