Studying for Maths Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
Hey, how should I be studying for maths extension 1. I'm working off cambridge. I've went over all the content, but how should I test myself. It seems that the book has no review exercises. And as I'm studying 4 chapters of the text book, I'm unsure on what questions to do from the exercises.

bored of sc

HSC
acevipa said:
Hey, how should I be studying for maths extension 1. I'm working off cambridge. I've went over all the content, but how should I test myself. It seems that the book has no review exercises. And as I'm studying 4 chapters of the text book, I'm unsure on what questions to do from the exercises.
Um, that's a hard one - just redo the HARDEST and EASIEST questions from the respective exercises I guess.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
acevipa said:
just do a few of the harder development questions, then move on.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
i do a mindmap of all the topics we covered in class and then i do a few questions on each concept

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My teacher goes through each topic in terms of theory, than two easy questions, two of the 'medium' questions, and two of the 'harder' questions. Usually, to study - I just make sure that I understand all those six questions (as well as the theory).

eliseliselise

HSC
well i'd personally find the hardest, most tedious and irritating questions and do most of them, as it will reap great rewards! quite often, when studying i'll see a question and i'll think something along the lines of "nah, thats WAY too annoying- they CAN'T ask that!" but they always will/do!!

have fun!!!!!!! :read:

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Read through the theory, do some of the easier questions, most of the development questions, and you should be absolutely set (assuming that you're actually decent at maths). Then practice with a few past papers and you'll be fine.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Mark576 said:
Read through the theory, do some of the easier questions, most of the development questions, and you should be absolutely set (assuming that you're actually decent at maths). Then practice with a few past papers and you'll be fine.
The problem with preliminary is that there isn't a lot of past papers in comparison to the HSC, especially on boredofstudies. You would only find a minority of them.

With Maths Extension 1, remember these simple steps to use:

Understanding, memorising, applying, success.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Best advice: study as much as you can everyday.

I am neither joking nor pulling your leg. That is the approach you need to take.

For me, I just finish every single question from my textbooks. Since this sunday(that is 4 days), I completed every SINGLE QUESTION from chapter 21 and 22 from fitzpatrick book (green). No other approach can guarantee better marks.

P.S. After completing these two chapters, my solution adds up to around 30 -40 A4 pages.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
The problem with preliminary is that there isn't a lot of past papers in comparison to the HSC, especially on boredofstudies. You would only find a minority of them.

My simple steps are:

Understanding (the formula, know it inside out), mountains of questions and band 6 or band E4 (success).

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:

I am neither joking nor pulling your leg. That is the approach you need to take.

For me, I just finish every single question from my textbooks. Since this sunday(that is 4 days), I completed every SINGLE QUESTION from chapter 21 and 22 from fitzpatrick book (green). No other approach can guarantee better marks.

P.S. After completing these two chapters, my solution adds up to around 30 -40 A4 pages.
:O You machine lyounamu!

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Razizi said:

You can get plenty of past papers from your teacher. More than enough to be adequately prepared for preliminary.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Mark576 said:
You can get plenty of past papers from your teacher. More than enough to be adequately prepared for preliminary.
The problem at my school is when you ask for past papers, teachers in subjects (excluding my physics and english teacher) will tell you to revise from your textbook and complete questions in the textbook at the end of each chapter.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Razizi said:
The problem at my school is when you ask for past papers, teachers in subjects (excluding my physics and english teacher) will tell you to revise from your textbook and complete questions in the textbook at the end of each chapter.
Damn. Maybe you should just keep bugging them :p I recieved a fair few past papers for maths in preliminary.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Mark576 said:
Damn. Maybe you should just keep bugging them :p I recieved a fair few past papers for maths in preliminary.
Lol if I continously bug them, they won't like me, would they? (loss of reputation etc.). Lucky you got a few preliminary maths past papers. I bugged a few year 12 friends and luckily they found a prelim maths examination they did last year.

With regards to the thread, like Mark said, ask for some past papers as well to assist you. If you're in my situation, then bl and practice from the textbook :(.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lyounamu said:

:eek: I can't imagine myself doing that much work... I would rather shoot myself in the foot.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
:eek: I can't imagine myself doing that much work... I would rather shoot myself in the foot.
Haha... you will study like me someday, Foram.

I gotta admit that questions 26 - 31 on page 40 (green fitzpatrick book) were the most interesting trigonometric questions that I have ever come across with. I did them all, of course but the question 31 definitely kept me pissed off as I had to attempt like 4 times to get it right. But the feeling that you get from getting difficult question right - priceless.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Ours are posted on the internet for us to access. :\

But by doing that - it ensures that none of the questions in our paper will be similar to those done in past years.

acevipa

HSC
Unfortunately, you can't do all the questions in cambridge. You'll be there forever.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
acevipa said:
Unfortunately, you can't do all the questions in cambridge. You'll be there forever.
i'm sure chinese girl who beat me in math does them all. (excluding the extention ones. If I can't do them all, then she can't either.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)