Studying Politics at University? (1 Viewer)

annabananana417

HSC
Hi!
I really want to do a double degree at university in Political Science (or something related) and a Bachelor of Arts (majoring in literature or similar). I get pretty good marks with a predicted ATAR of 95 but i am really confused about which university to go to.
For a long time i considered ANU (Australian National University) as my only option. However, i have read bad things about that uni and i am now reconsidering that as i live in Sydney and to move to Canberra would be a big commitment for a university i'm not 100% sure about. My reservations mostly lie with the quality of degree many are saying ANU offers. Some are saying that due to ANU's status as a research university, the lecturers aren't entirely focused on providing quality education but rather their research. I am also worried that the environment will be isolating. I had planned to move into student accomodation for the first year and then move in somewhere else with the friends i meet. I am aware, though, that ANU has a high percentage of international students. I am worried that, as i am not international, the people there won't be interested in becoming friends with me. These seem like trivial matters but they really do make a big difference to me.
Does anyone have any advice? Are these concerns valid or am i allowing the opinions of bitter students to have too much weight in deciding my experiences which could possibly differ significantly from theirs? Is political science at ANU any good or should i re-think my plans?
Thank you so much, any advice is appreciated. :)

triviajeon

HSC
hello!! from what i know, ANU is pretty solid and friends can be made easily wherever you go - you just gotta find the right people (int students included)! but at the end, do choose the uni you want to go n are wanting to experience!! syd has some solid options as well such as unsw or perhaps mac, which might be more convenient!! :]]

GabrielKennedy

HSC
I think this is cool and useful if this is your future and you have other skills and knowledge in parallel..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)