Studying tips (2 Viewers)

Jessiccca.ann

HSC
I would like to know some first hand experience on the best way to study.I have done many ways yet nothing seems to work.I'm getting pretty shitty grade so far and really need to pick up my act.It's not like i'm terrible at the subjects just I don't really know how to study.Help please :)

satcbrady

HSC
N/A
Think out the sentence in your own words before highlighting it..
and think of the relative importance of it..

you don't want to highlight everything (or most of it)

what's the purpose of highlighting when, at the end, the main points don't even stand out? some people just highlight a lot to feel safer, more assured that they have 'done the work' and haven't skipped everything

if you try to hold on to every single thing you've come across, the odds are you end up with nothing.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Motivate yourself, the worse things are distraction. Imagin you are studying and and you decide to award yourself with ten minute worth of MSN time and you ended up having a 1 hour session. Set tasks on what you have to complete, give yourself breaks but dont get distracted.

Do some excercise to keep fit. Many people give up sports in their senior years, go and do some excercise, your concentration lasts longer. And you can take your anger out o what ever ball you are hitting.

If you are studying any science or mathematics make sure you wite up all the formlaes you need to know. Revise 24 hours after the lesson, then 1 week, then 3 weeks.

Use your time wisely, fis your best time to study and make sure you do it.

Do past questions^^

I am sure alot of people can add to this but good luck anyway.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Read the Study/Motivation Thread. Bound to be loads of good advice.

The Ozman

HSC
Danger said:
i find using whiteboards very useful
Seconded. Plus make a (realistic) list of what you want to get done in your study session, really motivates me to get real results.

HSC
z600 said:
If you are studying any science or mathematics make sure you wite up all the formlaes you need to know. Revise 24 hours after the lesson, then 1 week, then 3 weeks.
My Ancient History insists that this technique works for humanities subjects as well, but I can see the benefit being much greater for sciences personally.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Danger said:
the Ozman said:
Seconded. Plus make a (realistic) list of what you want to get done in your study session, really motivates me to get real results.
Thirdeded, I use a 1800x900 size whiteboard I screwed onto the wall; viewing everything visually on a large whiteboard helps me remember the work.

Last edited:

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
s-AINT said:
Thirdeded, I use a 1800x900 size whiteboard I screwed onto the wall; viewing everything visually on a large whiteboard helps me remember the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger

Ahhh, the old whiteboard fetish.

undalay

HSC
z600 said:
I think thats a stupid way to study. So for any 1 time, you'll be studying 3 parts of a subject at 1 time. Say 20 minutes revision or so. Thats an hour a day per subject. 4-5 Hours a day.

IceOnFire

HSC
Start and finish your notes for studying all subjects ASAP.

This way you will have sufficient time to study for your yearlies. And for next year, the HSC.

Jessiccca.ann

HSC
thanks heaps! I will take all these down!
I might need to buy a whiteboard then!I have a cork board but not whiteboard!It's just teachers always ask me if i study and the truth is i never really got taught how or the ways i could.thanks heaps :)

Cheap Thrills

HSC
Yeah thats a major issue at some schools, well mine at least. They all assume you know what to do, but you just don't. I remember my year 9 geography teacher (absolute wank) telling us we should be studying about four hours a night. My reply was, 'well teach us dickhead.' Didn't go down to well:uhhuh:

Jessiccca.ann

HSC
It's fucking stupid how teachers do that!I got a sheet at a information night saying how your suppose to extend yourself but none of it actually made it any sense or any steps just said the obvious.

orly?

HSC
follow the simple steps of CRAM.

Concentrate
Remember
Analyse
Memorise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)