Subject Choices -Advice/Tips/Help/Anything! (1 Viewer)

knoobs.

HSC
Hey everyone,

Subject selections are due soon and I would really like some advice or some tips... At my school, extension units aren't counted for Year 11, so they have to be in addition to the required 12 units.
My (probable) choices;

-English Advanced (2 Units)
--Extension 1
-Maths (2)
--Extension 1
-Modern History (2)
-Economics (2)
-Chemistry (2)
-Business Studies (2)

Is business studies any good? And do economics and business studies overlap & would i be disadvantaged if i didn't do business studies?

Also, I've heard Biology requires a lot of work and notes and is really just a major pain. true?
I don't really want to pursue a career in the sciences but have to make up the units somehow. Anyway, can you guys please help me out and gimme some advice on other subject choices.
:)
Cheers

karnoganguli

HSC
knoobs. said:
Also, I've heard Biology requires a lot of work and notes and is really just a major pain. true?
I don't do bio, i do physics and chemistry. My friend however does all three and he says bio is the easiest. Chemistry is the most interesting but a lot of work while physics is boring but the hardest (agreed). However, bio requires a lot of memorising from what i hear. As for chem, if your teacher is similar to mine then your going to get tons of work. If you want to make up units and not interested in a science career then steer clear unless your good at it (or decent at it) and just want it for your UAI (thats what economics is doing for me). If your interested in it as well. I f you hate science then pick something else. I made the mistake of doing ancient history just to fill units. I wished i picked pdhpe or continued with German (they're not neccesarily easier but i enjoyed doing them).

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Chemistry is a beautiful subject :D requires a lot of work tho. but a band 6 is definately attainable. i got it as an accelerated student too.

one thing u need to ask yourself is wats ur motivation for chosing those subjects? r u really interested and can u see yourself keeping motivated wanting to do work for them? if you dont want to do anything science related, perhaps look into something else, because otherwise u'll be stuck with a subject that you just cbf to work for.

knoobs.

HSC
belz888 said:
what are you planning to do at uni?
Although not completely sure, i'm thinking of something economics/business/law related. My school doesn't offer legal studies, but is that a pre-requisite or will i be disadvantaged if i do law at uni?

Thanks guys for your comments :) I'll certainly be thinking more about my choices.

Cheers

lala2

Banned
HSC
What about something more humanities based then? Like Geography, Ancient History, Society and Culture, etc. On the topic of Legal Studies, I don't think you'll be disadvantaged, but you had better check that one out.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
knoobs. said:
Although not completely sure, i'm thinking of something economics/business/law related.
Economics and business studies are two that you should definitely consider in that case. ;)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
knoobs. said:
My school doesn't offer legal studies, but is that a pre-requisite or will i be disadvantaged if i do law at uni?
Legal studies is not a pre-requisite for a law course at university. I don't think there would be any disadvantage if you didn't do legal studies for the HSC, if you're aiming for a law course, however it is best to check with someone who does law at university.

Sofstar

HSC
Bio doesn't have that many notes. All we've been doing are alot more theory based and on basic report writing and designing experiments. Apparently it's a BoS requirement. It's quite boring but some of the things you learn are interesting. Main syllabus topics include Evolution in more depth, Evolution of Australia's fauna, Plants and Local Ecosystems.

Economics has heaps of theory (as it would). I'm probably not the best person to tell you about it cuz i pretty much hate it. I can't remember all the topics but from the top of my head they are Labour Markets and Government. And you'll probably have to do something about the 2007 Budget as well.

ReaL~

HSC
If u like math type subjects choose more math related courses. If u like english type courses choose more eng type courses.
Personally i don't think that economics will give u an edge over business. I'm currently doing well in eco but in biz , not so good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)