• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject choices (1 Viewer)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Looking for a bit of advice on a couple of subjects, since the subject reviews thread doesn't seem to have much (or, more accurately, anything) on first-year archaeology.

So I'm tossing up between philosophy (PHIL1011 Reality, Ethics and Beauty) and archaeology (ARPH1001 Introduction to Archaeology) for first semester. Can't do both, unfortunately, because I'm already full up with stuff I want to do.

What's ARPH1001 like? Would I be disadvantaged doing second-semester archaeology if I don't do it? Other general impressions of either subject?

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Triangulum said:
Looking for a bit of advice on a couple of subjects, since the subject reviews thread doesn't seem to have much (or, more accurately, anything) on first-year archaeology.

So I'm tossing up between philosophy (PHIL1011 Reality, Ethics and Beauty) and archaeology (ARPH1001 Introduction to Archaeology) for first semester. Can't do both, unfortunately, because I'm already full up with stuff I want to do.

What's ARPH1001 like? Would I be disadvantaged doing second-semester archaeology if I don't do it? Other general impressions of either subject?
Most of the stuff in ARPH1001 isn't neccesarily vital but it does help a great deal to get a basic background in archaeological concepts. Personally i'd do the course again for Martin Gibbs alone, he's the best lecturer i'm yet to encounter. You'll cover some of the content again breifly in the near eastern topic in sem 2 if you do that but it really is covered better in this unit. I wouldn't say it disadvantages you to NOT study ARPH1001 but if you want to continue with archaeology after this year than i'd highly recommend you do take it. Let me know if you want to know anything else, because i'm yet to encounter anyone else on BOS who's done archaeology of any kind:p

niteshade1312

HSC
yeah... I didn't have to say which part he taught and you know who I'm talking about :p But don't you don't he did look like he was from Charlies Angels?

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Not really. I skipped half of his lectures cos they weren't particularly interesting and his notes on webct were pretty in depth anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)