• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Matter + Mode??? (1 Viewer)

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
2.3 presenting aspects of investigation to specific audiences, in a range of modes

Student explains what he/she has learny from specific sources which have helped in the process - subject matter, medium, concept

What do these two terms mean simply???

Any useful websites I could go to to find out? :confused:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i dealt it with the actual theme (rather than concept)

to make this easier, i'll use mine as an example...

my majorwork was about the relationship between 2 people:

1. Father (who was also parent, God, authority and creative artist)
2. Daughter (who was also child, Adam, minority and artwork)

it dealt with postmodernism etc

my subject matter was basically the relationship I had with my Dad, which later extended to all these other roles, as I later developed my majorwork during the year.

postmodernism is the dismantling/questioning of dominant discourses, values, and such. THE SUBJECT MATTER was that I wanted to add in the fact that when you do this, ie apply postmodern thought in real life, it is MUCH more delicate than it is portrayed to be. the kick of a line I wrote in my reflection statement may have been the fact that I celebrated postmodernism, but said "to demonstrate that the complex battle against authoprity and the injusticies of patriarchy involves not only the dismantling of accepted paradigms, but also the changing of CULTURAAL TRADITIONS which needs to be delicatley respected. Compromise within a domestic sphere involves a density of emotion, time and patience" and i kinda backed this up by showing where I did this in my majorwork....

So that was subject matter, very briefy... It doesnt really have to be as weird/complicated/wanky as that... it just means that you have to show some personal learning about a theme, which might not tie in with english...

i hope that's right

I got E4 though!

HSC
N/A
Hazarding a guess here, but: *sticks head out of window, and yells out "JUSTIN!!!!"*

Subject Matter: The core of your work, any major themes/concepts etc, what your major work is comprised of

Mode: Genre-ish? eg Speech, Short Story etc.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
Mode as medium doesn't make sense but...because you can't really have a RANGE of mediums ie. you can only do a SHORT STORY, or POETRY etc. I think modes is more stylistically, use of techniques etc. =/

HSC
N/A
That's also quite true. If they were talking about genres, they would have said so, and yet... *sigh*

That word "mode" is throwing me off...

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
Why must they use complicated terms... :( Yes...mode is complicated

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Mode would seem to infer the manner or style of which something has been undertaken.
Subject matter would seem to refer to the content and the underlying theme of the content.
Thats just how I see it though, I might be wrong.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
rofl, you guys are the best. I think kami has the most relevant definition here. Subject matter seems to be all the content, or substance to your major work (i.e. where all that darn extensive research fits in) and then the values/themes as a result.

Mode is a term I wouldn't worry too much about however if I do stumble across a rather astute definition, I will be sure to keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)