• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

subject overview (1 Viewer)

3li

HSC
N/A
guys just need some guidance - my course requires me to do 5 subjects next semester (ive done this in the past but this time is much harder). I would like an overview of the studyload i should expect cos im working 3 days a week next semester. That's if its possible to do all 5 subjects in 2 days - and i'm willing to skip some useless lectures and attend tutes only (which ive done at uni successfully up until now).

can anyone give me a breakdown on what each entails, i have a rough idea as follows:

abc - debits and credits hardcore
asr - accounting theory (no numbers)
investment analysis - is this quant or more theoretical like tfs?
derivative securities - quant or more theoretical or mixture?
company law - speaks for itself - indepth blethics

If the studyload is really that crazy, i mite have to come in to uni 3 days a week as opposed to two, or leave one day for study. So I'd have to tell my employer that I'll be working 2 days a week next semester. I'm a D student so whatever study is required to maintain this average. of course, this varies but just generally.

Last edited:
HSC
ia is a prereq for ds. ia is very quant, ds a combo more application but difficult, asr- there are lots of dr and cr.

HSC
yeah there's quite a few for the asset topic, construction contracts, foreign exchange, liabilities- that's a good chunk of the course with drs and crs, natural resources etc.

from memory cash flows was the only topic which didn't need it

roadcone

HSC
It's true, ASR does require a fair number of debits and credits. It is pretty much half accouting standard theory and half the practical application.

For some reason it has a particularly high failure rate. I think this might have more to do with the difficulty of the exams they set and the fact they mark really hard, as opposed to the actual content of the subject.

Also, ABC does take a fair amount of time. I don't think it is that hard, but the mandatory homework will take at least a couple of hours toward the end of the semester (as I am currently finding). But the homework gives you very easy marks.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
roadcone said:
Also, ABC does take a fair amount of time. I don't think it is that hard, but the mandatory homework will take at least a couple of hours toward the end of the semester (as I am currently finding). But the homework gives you very easy marks.
I totally agree. ABC is taking alot of time in the way that you have to do electronic homework and also written homework- so it is like doing your homework twice (as there are only the numbers changed here and there).
It is good practice though- but takes way too much time.

Roman keeps going on about how the homework is the less than most other subjects, but seriously that is totally untrue. I'm getting better marks in CMS and doing alot less work than in ABC.

HSC
Huratio said:
I totally agree. ABC is taking alot of time in the way that you have to do electronic homework and also written homework- so it is like doing your homework twice (as there are only the numbers changed here and there).
It is good practice though- but takes way too much time.

Roman keeps going on about how the homework is the less than most other subjects, but seriously that is totally untrue. I'm getting better marks in CMS and doing alot less work than in ABC.
lol abc good times not. yeah electronic hw was a waste of time, though i copied the handwritten majority of the weeks so i only did it once.

well the final exam was piss easy if that's a relief.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
well the final exam was piss easy if that's a relief.
What kind of things are in the final exam?

All I've heard is that the questions are really similar to the homework.

dram

i do things
HSC
Yep i've had to put much more time into ABC than any other topic. I've tried to get ahead because i'm going on holidays for few days this coming week so i've finished the assignment and i've nearly finished all the homework for the week after this one. it's taken so many hours! the assignment took forever because the MI stuff i had to learn whilst doing it (we hadn't learnt steps 2 or 3 when i was doing the assignment!)

For those that haven't looked at the assignment yet it will take you quite some time to do and not having access to self check is a pain. it's possible to do quite well in it though, i got 302/309!

HSC
yeah it's a crap sub, and probably the worst acct subject to have to redo because of the online entry ticket hw- i personally had no idea what i was doing and never understood the majority of the entries.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
dram said:
Yep i've had to put much more time into ABC than any other topic. I've tried to get ahead because i'm going on holidays for few days this coming week so i've finished the assignment and i've nearly finished all the homework for the week after this one. it's taken so many hours! the assignment took forever because the MI stuff i had to learn whilst doing it (we hadn't learnt steps 2 or 3 when i was doing the assignment!)

For those that haven't looked at the assignment yet it will take you quite some time to do and not having access to self check is a pain. it's possible to do quite well in it though, i got 302/309!
No self check.. ewww...

I don't think I'll have the time to do it until like 2-3 days before the due date.. too many internal exams and assignments to do before then.

3li

HSC
N/A
guys thanks for ur input on abc and asr, has helped heaps

how about company law? investment analysis and macro?

what assessment tasks are required.

and is tutorial attendance assessable in any of the above subjects? or hwk? i think i read somewhere that abc hwk is assessable - what if i submit it online and not attend the tute - is that allowed?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
3li said:
guys thanks for ur input on abc and asr, has helped heaps

how about company law? investment analysis and macro?

what assessment tasks are required.

and is tutorial attendance assessable in any of the above subjects? or hwk? i think i read somewhere that abc hwk is assessable - what if i submit it online and not attend the tute - is that allowed?
Company Law - Not too hard. Has a mid-semester and final exam, with 3 assignments (Transaction Assignment 1 (TA1) and 2 (TA2), and the Journal). Doesn't sound as hard as it looks like - e.g. TA1 and TA2 are an easy 5/5 and 10/10. No attendance is marked.

ABC - Most of the weeks have been electronic and written homework. Electronic is due the midnight before the lecture day every week (you have to submit it on the program), and also has written homework which will be marked randomly for 3 or so times in the semester. Tutorial attendance is marked, but I'm not sure if it goes towards the homework of 10% though. There are a couple of weeks of homework where there is only written homework due (the first 2 weeks and the last 3 weeks). I hope that makes sense.

Can't really help you on IA and macro.

roadcone

HSC
Huratio said:
Company Law - Not too hard. Has a mid-semester and final exam, with 3 assignments (Transaction Assignment 1 (TA1) and 2 (TA2), and the Journal). Doesn't sound as hard as it looks like - e.g. TA1 and TA2 are an easy 5/5 and 10/10. No attendance is marked.

ABC - Most of the weeks have been electronic and written homework. Electronic is due the midnight before the lecture day every week (you have to submit it on the program), and also has written homework which will be marked randomly for 3 or so times in the semester. Tutorial attendance is marked, but I'm not sure if it goes towards the homework of 10% though. There are a couple of weeks of homework where there is only written homework due (the first 2 weeks and the last 3 weeks). I hope that makes sense.

Can't really help you on IA and macro.
just in regards to company law... the class that i am in has a minimum attendance requirement of 80% or we will apparently fail. also, next semester sees company law going through a bit of a shake up with the assessment becoming a little more centralised.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
roadcone said:
just in regards to company law... the class that i am in has a minimum attendance requirement of 80% or we will apparently fail. also, next semester sees company law going through a bit of a shake up with the assessment becoming a little more centralised.
Yeah. I think it depends on which lecturer you have. 3li - you'll notice that different lecturers teach ACL differently (e.g. some have lecture notes and some don't and the method of teaching is different in every class).

I have Michael Whitehead (subject coordinator) and he doesn't really care about attendance.
ACL's final exam will be in the exam period rather than an informal exam from next semester.

HSC
out of curiosity what's the shake up gonna be like ^ is it still going to have the same types of assessments except the mid sem and final exam will be a centrally conducted exam? i'd imagine the sub is going to become more difficult as a consequence?

roadcone

HSC
I can't imagine the content changing too much... But I think you are right with the prospect of the subject becomming more difficult - I say this because what is taught differs quite a bit between classes (i.e. what the tutors see as the focus areas). So hopefully with the centralised exams they also centralise lecture notes.

In saying that I don't think the content of ACL is all that difficult. And you get to bring the legislation into exams with you.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
They should centralise the lecture notes. I never liked the idea that everyone is learning different cases and different concepts during the lecture times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)