• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Petey9

HSC
N/A
Hi all, Havent been on for a while, well im choosing the following:

3 Maths
2 Adv. Eng
2 Physics
2 Chemistry
2 Engineering Studies
2 Business Studies

Any suggestions for my lot?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hi, nice subjects you picked. 13 units helps you not to be lazy (i know i am)

nothing wrong with your subjects they complement each other really ie. physics, chem, eng studies and business studies for something different though in my opinion it is a very dry and boring subject.

are you planning to take those subjects into the HSC? or considering dropping one?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

3 Maths
2 Adv. Eng
2 Physics
2 Chemistry
2 Engineering Studies
2 Business Studies

As the above post says: Your subjects compliment each other well and you'll notice a nice overlap between Chemistry and Physics (especially in the HSC year, also depending on what elective modules you take ;))

Business Studies is dead boring to me (my friends think it's very dry especially in the Preliminary Year... but if you stick with it and are interested with it, then it gets better in the HSC year ^_^

(P.S. Engineering Studies is a little different to what you'd expect unless you take a look at some texts/notes of other people. Also... in regard to the signature, UAI = ATAR ^_^)

de__locke

HSC
...And the [av]ATAR doesn't go up to 100; therefore crushing everybody's childhood dream of attaining a 100 UAI. :[

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
...And the [av]ATAR doesn't go up to 100; therefore crushing everybody's childhood dream of attaining a 100 UAI. :[
That's a childhood dream? When I was a child I dreamed of simply being rich, having the coolest job (i.e. rarely doing anything) and holidaying all the time!... basically enjoying my free time as a child. :D

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That's a childhood dream? When I was a child I dreamed of simply being rich, having the coolest job (i.e. rarely doing anything) and holidaying all the time!... basically enjoying my free time as a child. :D
agreed

maths94

HSC

3 Maths
2 Adv. Eng
2 Physics
2 Chemistry
2 Engineering Studies
2 Business Studies

i did exactly the same as you except chemistry i did IPT

de__locke

HSC
^^^ Well not quite childhood, but later on, like, once you found out what the UAI was. :p

ptrgrgry

HSC
I'd reconsider business studies. As you are doing Advanced Enlgish and Extension Math, you may want a more challenging subject.

Economics is much much much better! Not only does is scale very higher, actually higher than physics, but it's way more enjoyable also. A band 5 in econ is as good as a band 6 in business.

If you're thinking of doing a commerce course, even a business course, then economics will be your background knowledge not business studies.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
most important question is: what course would you like to do at uni?
based on your subject selections, it looks like science/engineering.
3u, chem, physx and engo studies seem to compliment each other.

as for business studies, it has a lot of stuff to remember and can be boring/dry, but it is one of those courses that you can do well if you can remember concepts and applying them.

Petey9

HSC
N/A
Hi, nice subjects you picked. 13 units helps you not to be lazy (i know i am)

nothing wrong with your subjects they complement each other really ie. physics, chem, eng studies and business studies for something different though in my opinion it is a very dry and boring subject.

are you planning to take those subjects into the HSC? or considering dropping one?
Maybe business studies, i dont know really, need to experience the subjects before considering which to drop and which to keep :)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
You dont want a mega hard course load for all your subjects. If YOUR interested in it, take business and you many find you want to drop it later.

lol I took business for 2 lessons and swapped out of it but it just wasnt for me. Dont let people on here tell you what subjects you should and shouldnt take because at the end of the day your the one who will have sit through the class, do the assessments and exams and not them. Don't get caught up in the "This subject scales up" "This subject has shit scaling" because really if you do shit in any subject your going to get scaled shit.

Goodluck and remember you do have an opportunity to change subjects beginning of next year if need be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)