Subject Selections Help (1 Viewer)

Mikdin11

HSC
Hi everyone,
I am just seeking some advice regarding my subject selections for year 11 & 12.
Currently I am thinking of doing advanced english, extension 1 maths, studies of religion 1, physics, economics and engineering studies for year 11.
However, I am a little unsure about engineering studies, how difficult it is and whether it scales well.
Also, I don't know if I want to do 10, 11 or 12 units in year 12, as some people have told me ten is the best amount, but others have told me more than ten is better as to have something to fall back on. Any advice or helpful info regarding engineering studies or units for year 12 is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Here's a brief idea of what the Engineering Studies course entails:

This course provides students with the opportunity to study engineering by investigating a range of applications and fields of engineering. Students learn about historical and societal influences, the scope of the profession and develop skills in technical communication. Students apply knowledge of engineering mechanics, hydraulics, electricity, electronics and engineering materials to solve engineering problems.

In terms of scaling, I believe it doesn't scale as well as subjects like Physics but that shouldn't be a reason not to take this subject, particularly if you are interested in it and believe you can perform well in your assessments/exams.

Keeping 10 units in year 12 implies you are very confident about your ability to perform well in all your subjects and don't see a need in keeping 1 or 2 extra units (which would mean studying for another subject that may end up not contributing towards your ATAR). While this means you get to study only for your chosen subjects which will all count towards your ATAR, you never know what can happen, and unexpected bad performance in one of your subjects can be quite detrimental to your ATAR because you will have nothing to back it up. This is why I'd suggest keeping at least 11 units in year 12 (that's what I did when I did my HSC), unless you're 100% you can do well while keeping 10 units by the end of year 11.

I hope this helps! :D

Mikdin11

HSC
Hi, I also think I might want to keep 11 units in year 12 but am struggling to see how I could do that.
I could drop extension 1 maths, but I am very interested in it and don't think I will want to, and I also need it for the career I would like to do.
I could also drop studies of religion 1, but since I go to a catholic school I will still have to do non-atar religion (catholic studies), so I'll end up with a subject which won't contribute to my atar.

Otherwise, I was thinking of dropping engineering studies in year 12 to bring me down to 10 units, but agree that this might not be a good idea as having more than 10 protects me. So I would like to do 11, but am struggling to see if it is worth it or how I will be able to do it.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I also think I might want to keep 11 units in year 12 but am struggling to see how I could do that.
I could drop extension 1 maths, but I am very interested in it and don't think I will want to, and I also need it for the career I would like to do.
I could also drop studies of religion 1, but since I go to a catholic school I will still have to do non-atar religion (catholic studies), so I'll end up with a subject which won't contribute to my atar.

Otherwise, I was thinking of dropping engineering studies in year 12 to bring me down to 10 units, but agree that this might not be a good idea as having more than 10 protects me. So I would like to do 11, but am struggling to see if it is worth it or how I will be able to do it.
I would suggest keeping Mathematics Extension 1 since you are very interested in it and need it for your career.

I think the best solution would be to drop Studies of Religion I, because while you'll still be required to take Catholic Studies, it won't count towards your ATAR, meaning you can put in minimal effort into this subject, while mainly focusing on your 11 units. I think that would definitely be better than dropping Engineering Studies just to avoid Catholic Studies, and have no backup as a result. 🤔

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)