• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subjects Review (1 Viewer)

prxyal007

HSC
hey so I chose these subjects for next year, can you guys just tell me how they are and stuff thanks!

- Extension 1 Maths
- Advanced English
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Business Studies
- Studies of Religion l

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Seems pretty solid to me, I definitely recommend doing advanced over standard (god i really wish i did advanced). Your subjects are well diversified and if you put in decent effort and perform well you would be looking at a nice atar with them.

sourmilk

HSC
Just know advanced is a massive leap from Year 10 English & Business is 100% rote learning, if you dedicate a few hours on business you'll be fine.

prxyal007

HSC
Just know advanced is a massive leap from Year 10 English & Business is 100% rote learning, if you dedicate a few hours on business you'll be fine.
in what ways is advanced a massive leap? the workload or content? because at school we already covered the basics of comparative essays, AOS, critical study and stuff like that

prxyal007

HSC
Seems pretty solid to me, I definitely recommend doing advanced over standard (god i really wish i did advanced). Your subjects are well diversified and if you put in decent effort and perform well you would be looking at a nice atar with them.
thankyou! Yeah the lowest English in our school was advanced

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

helloimyellow

HSC
Chemistry is pretty good in prelim, its not as intensive as in HSC (lot less rote learning). Just make sure you really know how to do equations from your junior science.

sourmilk

HSC
in what ways is advanced a massive leap? the workload or content? because at school we already covered the basics of comparative essays, AOS, critical study and stuff like that
I don't recall Year 10 English clearly, but Advanced requires more of a deeper thinking when it comes to analysing texts and what not. I don't know how to explain it but I knew that the first month of Eng I was ;A; because it was a whole new world, STEEL can't really save you and it's all more about discussing the text's ideas to a newer level. Like, maybe it was because the text I did, but it was more contextual and stuff. Idk, if you were pretty okay in Year 10, it's not like you'd abysmally drown in Adv.

prxyal007

HSC
I don't recall Year 10 English clearly, but Advanced requires more of a deeper thinking when it comes to analysing texts and what not. I don't know how to explain it but I knew that the first month of Eng I was ;A; because it was a whole new world, STEEL can't really save you and it's all more about discussing the text's ideas to a newer level. Like, maybe it was because the text I did, but it was more contextual and stuff. Idk, if you were pretty okay in Year 10, it's not like you'd abysmally drown in Adv.
alright thanks, I think I get what you mean [emoji3]

helloimyellow

HSC
By "do equations", do you mean to balance equations?
I guess, maybe that wasn't the best example to give.

tbh I hated chemistry in all my junior years and paid zero attention to it (as in, couldn't even balance equations until year 11, got confused about the difference between an atom, element and molecule), as I was planning on doing phys not chem.

But when I started putting time into it in the prelim course my marks really improved, plus I think accelerating geography helped me as I learnt how to structure short answer responses even though geography and chemistry aren't really related.

So my advice during the holidays is to do some light reading up on the syllabus, find some notes or a textbook to read if you can. But don't stress too much about prelim chemistry, it's not too bad at the start and not very content-heavy. It seems like you already know the basics of balancing equations (much better position than I was imo) so you should be fine :)

Last edited:

prxyal007

HSC
I guess, maybe that wasn't the best example to give.

tbh I hated chemistry in all my junior years and paid zero attention to it (as in, couldn't even balance equations until year 11, got confused about the difference between an atom, element and molecule), as I was planning on doing phys not chem.

But when I started putting time into it in the prelim course my marks really improved, plus I think accelerating geography helped me as I learnt how to structure short answer responses even though geography and chemistry aren't really related.

So my advice during the holidays is to do some light reading up on the syllabus, find some notes or a textbook to read if you can. But don't stress too much about prelim chemistry, it's not too bad at the start and not very content-heavy. It seems like you already know the basics of balancing equations (much better position than I was imo) so you should be fine :)
I really like Chemistry and i read through the textbook briefly and I have some notes so I'm hoping it stays well

thankyou

blackbird_14

HSC
The first term of Prelim English was quite the jump that I was expecting, but in no way prepared for. After about Week 8, I picked myself up again from wallowing in misery over how much work I had to do to catch up to my peers, and just got on with it. Perseverance is key!

Otherwise, Ext. Maths and Chemistry are both fun and hard work. Enjoy prelim!

prxyal007

HSC
The first term of Prelim English was quite the jump that I was expecting, but in no way prepared for. After about Week 8, I picked myself up again from wallowing in misery over how much work I had to do to catch up to my peers, and just got on with it. Perseverance is key!

Otherwise, Ext. Maths and Chemistry are both fun and hard work. Enjoy prelim!
thankyou! I am expecting English to be difficult :/
But I feel math extension is going to be the hardest for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)