N/A
Hey guys,
So I have no idea what subjects I should do for Yr 12. These are my subjects:
- Maths Ext
- Eng Ext
- Bio
- Chem
- Eco
Altogether I have 12 units but I plan to take Maths Ext 2, drop Eng Adv and hopefully drop either Chem or Eco. So 2 things: I don't know if I should drop either Chem or Eco (i'm bottom 25% for both) and if I should risk 10 units.
So my science faculty is known for sabotage (no one got band 6 in chem last year) and being the worst performing subjects in our school, like my chemistry isn't doing so good. On the other hand, my Eco teacher is just bad. My sister had him a few years ago and she got last for Eco and no one in my class has been listening to him and even the good students don't even know what's going on (like he tells us that he doesn't fully write some words because he doesn't know how to spell them ☠ and he's a teacher). My personal opinion is I hate him and it feels impossible to do well in Eco because I don't know how to do really well all on my own. This means that I will have to try ALOT harder for Chem, but then I would at least do ok or do alot of self study for Eco (my essay writing isn't the best but not the worst) and just wing it.
Also I feel unsafe at 10 units, should I pick up science extension just to make 11 or not. I'm most likely not going to do science in the future but I actually didn't Yr 10 Student Research Project (SRP) too much but also science faculty and is it even worth the time and effort.
But either way thanks for listening to my ramblings :))))) 😢😢

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally speaking, you are better off keeping 10 units worth of subjects that you know you can perform well in, than having 12 units with a subject that you are not performing well in and may doubt your ability to improve in, especially since the purpose of an extra 1 or 2 unit subject is to act as a backup in the event of unexpected unfavourable performance in one of your subject. However, your situation appears to be slightly more complex than that. Because of this, you may wish to consider the following options:
  • Keep both Chemistry and Economics as you start year 12 and see how you go with your tasks. This allows you to make a more informed decision regarding the subject to drop, the only difference being that you would drop your worse-performing subject at a later stage than you are currently contemplating.
  • Drop Chemistry - The anticipation that you will need to work significantly harder to improve in Chemistry compared to Economics suggests that Economics should be the subject to keep, because keeping Chemistry may pose a risk to your performance in your other subjects if it ends up taking an unreasonable amount of your study time. Additionally, you seem to be a bit more confident in your ability to improve your performance in Economics than in Chemistry, despite the poor teaching quality.
  • Take Science Extension. I would only recommend this if you are confident in your ability to perform favourably in this subject and are determined to commit to it. You may wish to consider your performance standard in Biology and, if favourable, whether you can replicate this standard in Science Extension (especially given your school's science faculty) Of course, you are still able to drop this subject at a later stage if you find that it is not for you.
An important thing to note is that 10 units are not necessarily risky, provided that you do your utmost to study and prepare for all of your subjects. Numerous students complete their HSC with 10 units and achieve outstanding results.

I hope this helps! :D

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hey guys,
So I have no idea what subjects I should do for Yr 12. These are my subjects:
- Maths Ext
- Eng Ext
- Bio
- Chem
- Eco
Altogether I have 12 units but I plan to take Maths Ext 2, drop Eng Adv and hopefully drop either Chem or Eco.
Fyi English is compulsory 😬

nsw..wollongong

HSC
heyy have u considered tutoring? i was in ur position as well bc my chem teacher sucks, and tutoring helped me soo so much (started trial prep before my class even started the last half of the trial content)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)