Swallow the Air - Tara June Winch QUOTES (1 Viewer)

Phouna

HSC
N/A
Bleeding palm
ÿ “ We were happy when Aunty was happy, laughing and yarning and dancing around the yard.”
ÿ Ocean… description : “ We were like the morning ladies, doing tai chi: out with the black clouds, in with the white.”
ÿ “I began to hide my skin from the other beach, from this stretch of cycleway.”
ÿ “I am invisible, I am earth, I am sand.”
ÿ “Oy, ya little coon bitch, what tha fuck do ya think ya doin?”
ÿ “I scrambled up and ran toward the water…”
ÿ “ This gunna show ya where ya don’t belong dumb black bitch.”

The Block
ÿ “I spun into the clogging traffic and muffled voices and tides of ironed pleats and searched for the nearest tree.”
ÿ “Hey, monguls, ya little cunts, ya up there aren’t yas?”
ÿ At central, memories “You got family in the city too girl, gunna show ya where ya don’t belong dumb black bitch, you don’t look like an Abo.”
ÿ “I felt Aboriginal, I felt like I belonged, but when mum left, I stopped being Aboriginal. I stopped feeling like I belonged. Anywhere.”
ÿ “We’re all family here, all blacks, here, from different places, but we’re all one mob, this place here…”
ÿ “They were my family, and I loved them.”
ÿ “When you start to not feel the punch that lands on her face, when you begin to see someone’s broken heart instead of someone’s bruised veins, when you know that cuz needs a beating to sort him out, you begin to see love than hate, that real sort of love, the sort that’s desperate and always fighting. Fighting to be heard and stay.”

Home
ÿ “ We don’t need words. I can smell it I can feel it”
ÿ “I know what the word really means, home.”
ÿ My mother knows that I am home, at the water I am always home.”
ÿ “Aunty and my brother, we are from the same people, we are of the Wiradjuri nation, hardwater
ÿ I couldn’t run from the pain and I couldn’t run from my family either.”
ÿ “When Billy and me lost our mother, we lost ourselves. We stopped swimming in the ocean…lost trust because we didn’t want to touch something that was going to fall away.”

Hopes this help~ the quotes are taken from ONLY three chapters I deeply focus on.

Kat
xo

sasdigital

HSC
Awesome! And thanks!

However, page numbers would have been more awesome.

Seft

HSC
when there is currently 3 users browsing the thread you know people are then cramming for trials :lol:

Mountainy

HSC
…he was the monster that id always tried to hide. METAPHOR - DAD DV
"...i did not know my brother" PARADOX - DUMPING DRUGGED GAL
“I am invisible, I am earth, I am sand.” Symbolism - RAPE SCENE ABORIGINAL IDENTITY
“I couldn’t run from the pain and I couldn’t run from my family either.” Epiphany -
“She shuffled us out like two jokers in her cards reminding us to go to Auntie’s house before dark, and telling us again she loved us.” - Simile`

Some repeats some new stuff might be useful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)