Tafe semester 2 enrolments close today... (1 Viewer)

samaccount123

HSC
Allright, I decided to talk about TAFE here..

I've just missed out on enrolment because I heard before that they where taking place today (But some courses are also closing tomorrow and the 3rd/7/09)..However, the point i'm trying to come across is..I want to get any type of job/work right now - either it be entry level in retail/hospitality OR working in a bakery/butchers store full time.

Also, since I am concerned with TAFE enrolments..would there be any point or benifet in doing a course mid year? I mean doing a tafe course for the rest of the half of this year will obviously wont allow me to work this year as I'd be too busy being trained at tafe if I do enrol now..I know also that after I complete the TAFE course..I'd still have to look for a job anyways..but only after 6 months or so - which will make me unemployed for 6 months more! (But then I'd hold a qualification..thats something atleast...).

So there is'nt any point in doing a TAFE course is there? I just need peoples opinions of theres because its coming to that time of the year again and I do have a good point to talk about :spzz:.

Finally, why would people want to do certificate 1 in retail when they can learn all that stuff on the job in retail at entry level? Lol, ok besides certificate 2 in retail you learn a little bit more..but still, in work you'll learn the majority of things you'll learn in cert 2 as well..the same goes with hospitality..like working for maccas or something. As for the Bakery or Butchers story..why dont people just try and get a job with private businesses and let them train you privately without having to enrol for TAFE, it is possible isn't it? Yes.

I guess TAFE courses is just another avenue of finding employment but it really isn't necessary as these days you can get jobs through small businesses directly (or privately) if your really keen..Yeah these days are competitive in the job market and sometimes you do have to get an edge by doing a course - but its NOT the only way of getting work obviously..

Last edited:

samaccount123

HSC
I mean I know the advantage of being an apprentice/trainee is that you can learn more while doing on the job and off the job training at TAFE and that the students will get more money from the government/centrelink doing an apprenticeship etc, either it be from a private or public company..but TAFE isn't really necessary for all of this..its possible to survive without TAFE if you have the skills learnt all by just being on the job instead of going off the job for a little while..also, if people wanted a certificate (if thats appropriate) - they could always go TAFE later when they really have the time or when they want to to get that award or qualification if its illegal to not have one while working for yourself or for other companies maybe later in the future

samaccount123

HSC
oh ok cool

sorry, why aren't you employable again? i missed that bit.
Basically if I wanted to be employed ASAP, I dont see much point in enrolling for TAFE now to be employed after graduation..since thats just a place to do further education and that it'll hinder my chance on getting more money if I'd lose 6 months more time..and it does take time to do training

Last edited:

samaccount123

HSC
So... you've never heard of an apprenticeship/traineeship
Offcourse i've heard of that, lol!..lots of people know that. I'm not talking about apprenticeships because those type of stuff you NEED WORK FIRST to actually be eligible to enrol INTO TAFE to do that TAFE course..

I am talking about the mainstream normal courses like retail/ hospitality operations..some of their courses you dont need to be a chef or own like a whole Franklins family to do those courses in retail cert 1 or 2 or hosp..lol

Last edited:

samaccount123

HSC
oh ok cool

sorry, why aren't you employable again? i missed that bit.
Originally Posted by samaccount123
Basically if I wanted to be employed ASAP, I dont see much point in enrolling for TAFE now to be employed whilsts I'm at tafe..since thats just a place to do further education and that it'll hinder my chance on getting more money if I'd lose 6 months more time
Why aren't I employable again?! Huh? My first thread obviously shows that I am un-employed and looking for work and that if I do a TAFE course now it'll make me un-employed for a an extra 6 months whilsts at college. That does sound like the topic for this thread as well..duh

samaccount123

HSC
Maybe I should have asked these sorts of stuff to a careers advisor at TAFE or something, haha..theres hardly any people here too

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
From what I've read, I would suggest you look for employment ASAP. I had a friend do a Cert II in Retail and while it is beneficial, it's also quite general and a lot of it can be covered in on the job training. A lot of jobs will pay for you to to study a traineeship as well as work..so I suggest you gain employment first in an entry level position.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
To be honest, I think your best bet would be an entry level position, yes.
Because once you're in the Woolies (or Coles) group, it's relatively simple to apply for apprenticeships/traineeships with the company.

WOW Careers
Coles Careers

If you look at both these websites, you should find something. Look at both entry level positions and apprenticeships being offered.

Good luck!

samaccount123

HSC
That was the 2 most useful post since Wednesday! thanks you two's! Lol..though my idea on contacting a careers advisor or something would be good too..or maybe a teacher for a course that i'm interested in..

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
That was the 2 most useful post since Wednesday! thanks you two's! Lol..though my idea on contacting a careers advisor or something would be good too..or maybe a teacher for a course that i'm interested in..
Either of those paths would be advisable.
Best to talk to someone involved in TAFE and that area of tertiary education, I think.

samaccount123

HSC
There goes the last days for enrolments for semester 2..next come semester 1..

samaccount123

HSC
I dont think I am going to enrol this year..I mean there might be still Vacancies (V) leftover...but still..:bomb:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
That's a really good idea, I talked to the TAFE counsellor on my campus before enrolling and she gave me about 6 different options on how I should combine work and study - it was so useful!

samaccount123

HSC
That's a really good idea, I talked to the TAFE counsellor on my campus before enrolling and she gave me about 6 different options on how I should combine work and study - it was so useful!
Yeah..but after reading about what you guys have been saying and what I have been saying myself, I sound correct and sure that I dont need to do a tech course this year. The main thing employers look at are if your of good character and that you have some sort (or any) of WORK experience..and thats the essence of employment..always has been and always will be.

In context with everything that is said on here, everything should make sense with my conluding parts of this thread :headbang:

samaccount123

HSC
Anyone opposing my thoughts/ suggestion on this? It would be cool to know them.

But either then that, I know that graduates at TAFE get a high percentage of employment after they finish..but hey - doesn't it take a while? I mean everyone has to get through the interview stage..no matter what when people want a particular role to do as work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)