Teachers crossing the line (2 Viewers)

Anon423

HSC
N/A
I have a question for the BoS forums;

Recently I came last in my year in one of the trial HSC exams. While away from school, my teacher, had marked all the papers - and, as I am told, announced my mark to the class, singling me out (without me being there) in order to ridicule the mark I got in the test. When my friends got on MSN, they all were making fun of the result I got and laughing at me.

Now I, singely, bear the responsibility for the mark I achieved. Furthermore it should be said that I did not study for these 2 units - because they will not be counting toward my ATAR. As a result of that, it is fair to say that I didn't care about the results that I achieved. But my teacher, as far as i'm concerned - has completely crossed the moral and ethical lines that a teacher should not pass. The conditions of me achieving these marks (not studying, units not counting) is not known to anyone else - only the ridicule this teacher has foreplaced onto me.

What action should I take over this? Is it true that teachers should not be telling students other students marks - and/or the whole class? Past this is ridiculing acceptable?

BobMac

HSC
Tell you're principal or Board of studies if that doesn't work and say that it really upset you.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
My business teacher always does this....(however he writes everyones marks)

Blushii

HSC
Well they shouldn't be telling your marks to anyone, but they are allowed, as far as im concerned at my school. However my teachers would never publicly announce a horrid mark and then proceed to ridiculing it, they'd just simply name the person and follow with a comment like "Marks were not high enough" or something, they wouldnt actually give the mark out, ever.

If its really bothering you, go speak to your principal. Or you can just forget about it because you know its not going to impact on your potentially awesome atar. :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Your teachers should never disclose personal marks without your consent (unless you are friendly with your teacher and it's a small class and you're all friends etc. but that only really happens in small country schools like my old school). They can publicly tell the class the lowest mark, but they shouldn't have mentioned your name so if you're really worried about it then I'd talk to the teacher.

If not, let it go.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is an issue that should be dealt with at school level but your teacher shouldn't be telling anyone else your marks.

My school has the policy that all marks are to be revealed only to the student concerned and even the signing sheet for the marks should be done in such a way that each student can only see their own mark - of course sometimes slips happen and a student sees the mark of the student listed above or below them on the list but as long as it is clear that there was a genuine attempt to conceal the marks no one will be upset.

If you were at my school I would be advising having your parents/guardians quietly asking the teacher to explain their actions to them and to you and to issue a public apology to you in front of the class. If that was done I would leave it there.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
OP should tell his/her principal.

I honestly don't care because I top my classes and my teacher just jokes around when people get low marks.

HSC
N/A
Your teacher is such a tool. I'd talk to the subject co ordinator about misconduct and get him in trouble if I were you. How rude is that teacher? Unbelievable.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Your teachers should never disclose personal marks without your consent (unless you are friendly with your teacher and it's a small class and you're all friends etc. but that only really happens in small country schools like my old school). They can publicly tell the class the lowest mark, but they shouldn't have mentioned your name so if you're really worried about it then I'd talk to the teacher.

If not, let it go.
This. But don't worry too much about it. Most famous smart people never were smart at school, but developed a passion afterwards.

and who cares honestly there are 4 weeks left, then you never have to see your teacher or fellow class mates again.

K4M1N3

HSC
Correct me if I am wrong, but would this at all fall under 'defamation'? If it did, then OP would have a serious case.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That's pretty lame, I'd talk to the head teacher of the faculty first (unless this teacher happens to be that) or the principal before I chased BOS. They could have a quiet word with the teacher in question.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad

Recently I came last in my year in one of the trial HSC exams. While away from school, my teacher, had marked all the papers - and, as I am told, announced my mark to the class, singling me out (without me being there) in order to ridicule the mark I got in the test. When my friends got on MSN, they all were making fun of the result I got and laughing at me.

Now I, singely, bear the responsibility for the mark I achieved. Furthermore it should be said that I did not study for these 2 units - because they will not be counting toward my ATAR. As a result of that, it is fair to say that I didn't care about the results that I achieved. But my teacher, as far as i'm concerned - has completely crossed the moral and ethical lines that a teacher should not pass. The conditions of me achieving these marks (not studying, units not counting) is not known to anyone else - only the ridicule this teacher has foreplaced onto me.

What action should I take over this? Is it true that teachers should not be telling students other students marks - and/or the whole class? Past this is ridiculing acceptable?
IMO it's acceptable for the teacher to call you out if you've made a significant improvement or if you topped, but when you're likely to be a bit pissed off about it, and not to mention not even there to defend yourself, that is crossing the line. Talk to your year coordinator/subject coordinator.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
IMO it's acceptable for the teacher to call you out if you've made a significant improvement or if you topped, but when you're likely to be a bit pissed off about it, and not to mention not even there to defend yourself, that is crossing the line. Talk to your year coordinator/subject coordinator.
Qft

Complain. You have every right to.

descartes

HSC
N/A

Furthermore it should be said that I did not study for these 2 units - because they will not be counting toward my ATAR. As a result of that, it is fair to say that I didn't care about the results that I achieved. But my teacher, as far as i'm concerned - has completely crossed the moral and ethical lines that a teacher should not pass.
Whilst I agree that your teacher was out of line, what about the ethics of not studying for the 2 units.

If you have decided to not study for these two units, then drop them. Your lack of performance can have an affect on the group's scaling.

So whose ethics are worse? The teacher ridiculing or the student potentially putting other student's results at risk?

enoilgam

HSC
Correct me if I am wrong, but would this at all fall under 'defamation'? If it did, then OP would have a serious case.
For defamation, the claim has to be false, however the teacher did breach the students privacy. You would be suprised how many teachers behave like this towards students. In my opinion, some teachers should never be allowed in a classroom.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I agree with this point of descartes: "If you have decided to not study for these two units, then drop them."

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
if its a guy teacher i would fight him till the death

if its a girl teacher i would tell her she has been a naughty teacher and something something

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst I agree that your teacher was out of line, what about the ethics of not studying for the 2 units.

If you have decided to not study for these two units, then drop them. Your lack of performance can have an affect on the group's scaling.

So whose ethics are worse? The teacher ridiculing or the student potentially putting other student's results at risk?
Study for these two units in the externals because they might need to count, otherwise, maybe drop them. Can you? My friend was allowed to drop maths but she got like 15% so they basically had to let her.

khfreakau

HSC
OP may be in a situation where they don't have enough subjects but enough units, ie they're doing 4 subjects but 12 units or something like that, in of which case it might be a bit annoying to have to do the subject. I know some friends in this situation, they just don't bother studying for the subject they don't want to count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)