• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

textbook help please... (1 Viewer)

nami-_-

HSC
My cousin and i are wondering if textbooks are that important in uni...i mean do you use them everytime??i looked for threads and some say they use it and some say they haven't even used it a single time,,

I'll be doing business and my cousin is doing engineering if this helps.

Miss Winey

HSC
sorry for the complete mockery and ignorance of the previous post. your question is very legitimate and many students pay alot of money for books they don't need.

As for textbooks, it completely depends on the lecturer and the class you are taking.
In engineering, i usually get course notes, and this CAN be subsidised with textbooks. sometimes the textbooks are useless and the course notes are all you need.
I had a lecturer once who wrote course notes, printed them out 2 pages/sheet, double sided and unbinded, and sold them to us for $6. then said "if you've got alot of money to spend, or you like colour pictures or you don't intend on coming to class, you can buy this $200 hardcover text book i wrote for students overseas"

on the other hand there are absolute bastard lecturers out there, who tell you buy their book so they get the royalities.

If you're not sure the lecturer doesn't tell you, it's a good idea to befriend some students in earlier years who have done the course. they will give you a better opinion of the lecturer and means to getting through the course.

Engineering is very different from business.
but the same principle applies - just ask the lecturer and older students
also, always try 2nd hand!

TheElite

HSC
^ Above post is spot-on. The advice i was given was to attend all classes in the first week and see for yourself whether you need textbooks or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)