Textbook...Where!!! (2 Viewers)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I'm looking to purchase the best 3U preliminary textbooks, by best i mean easy to learn, challenging, worked solutions etc. Could people please please post their favourate 3U preliminary text book and where i should or were you purchased it from

Thanks soooo much!

p.s. I already have preliminary 3U maths in focus but i want a challenge

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Which textbook should i get;

Fitzpatrick
Cambridge

???

Whats the plus + minus

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
Fitzpatrick:
Very stock questions, with the occaisional challenging problem.

Cambridge:
+ Wide range of questions, from easy to very difficult
- big and heavy to lug around.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
cambridge is a brillant text book, you can find all sorts of interesting questions in there. Get a copy from bellbirds or dymocks.....

vds700

HSC
I've found that Fitzpatrick isn't easy to learn from. It does have challenging problems though

3 unit Mathematics Book 2 by Jones and Couchman is a good one to learn frfom

Sonata

HSC
Fitzpatrick - Hard/challenging question
Coronoes- Variety of question
Cambridge- not much to say but its a good book

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Can someone make a comparison of Excel and Cambridge?

behemoth100

Adv_Sci_Tutor
HSC
Aplus said:
Can someone make a comparison of Excel and Cambridge?
They are very different books with different styles. Excel is just a bunch of questions (often very easy ones) with non worked answers at the back.
Cambridge is an actual textbook designed to teach the year 12 syllabus, with worked examples, theory and excercises with answers.

The best place to get textbooks is Dymocks in the City, very big store. Angus surprisingly has next to nothing. I have been to the Dymocks and I know for a fact they have Cambridge, Coroneos and fitzpatrick.

I have trouble reading Coroneos, its badly setout and the text type looks like the old style type writers in the sixties, very annoying.

Fizpatrick is excellent, good questions and more importantly worked examples, and goes through the entire year 12 syllabus (and end of year 11) in one book: about 49.95 if I remember correctly.

Cambridge is a mixed bag. It is set out BRILLIANTLY, each exercise seperates questions into easy intro qs, then development "medium" questions, then extension "very hard" questions. The only problem is, that each book tends to teach HALF of the syllabus, so you need to buy 2 books to get the whole of the year 12 syllbus, setting you back 80 dollars or more.

Alot of libraries stock these books so if you're short on cash u can try and borrow them, but if they are reference books (unborrowable) then you can try and photocopy individual excercises or just do them at the library. Also look for "Co-op" Bookstores around the city (there is one at USYD). They tend to stock uni books but always have a HSC section.

If all that fails head to the publishers website and order a copy online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)