The Big Sleep (1 Viewer)

Dragie

HSC
Anyones have detailed, comprehensive notes on TBS? I know nothing on this text lol...well some things...hehe
But yeah any notes, any important info or things I should know would be soo helpful!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Dragie said:
Anyones have detailed, comprehensive notes on TBS? I know nothing on this text lol...well some things...hehe
But yeah any notes, any important info or things I should know would be soo helpful!
If you have any specific points or issues about the text I would be more than willing to discuss them, however without a question I cannot easily provide an answer - especially in this course where you must adapt your knowledge to an array of situations.

As Without Wings has pointed out, there is a resource page should you deisre generalised notes. If once you have read those and found there are some things you don't understand then ask away.:)

benjams

HSC
just quickly a question - the femme fatale - Vivenne or Carmen?? i say Vivenne because she hinders Marlowe's job by throwing round red herrings and also just by using her sexuality to hinder him. However she doesnt kill anybody, but Carmen does and she also attempts to use her sexuality towards Marlowe...

any thoughts?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Both in their way fit the femme fatale convention. From wikipedia:
A femme fatale is a stock character, usually a villainous woman who uses the malign power of sexuality in order to ensnare the hapless hero. The phrase is French for "deadly woman" or "fatal woman". She is typically portrayed as sexually insatiable. Although typically villainous, femme fatales have also been known to be antiheroines in some stories and sometimes even repentant heroines. Today, the archetype is generally seen as a character who constantly crosses the line between good and evil, but despite any allegiance, acts rather unscrupulously. Part of a femme fatale's power is to emotionally enslave her lover without his realising. What makes her a tragic character is that the reason behind her methods and actions cannot be explained, not even by the femme fatale. Her personality is a mystery to others---part of her attraction---and an abyss to herself.
Now Carmen attempts to beguile and control Marlowe via her sexual wiles - she seems to have problems control her libido, she is also deadly because of her thoughtless approach to violence, and all of the problems she manages to get herself caught up in.

To an extent Vivienne fills a similar niche - however her role has been abrogated due to the romatic elements that Hollywood imposed on the film(which is what you are analysing - not the book, in which I'd certainly call Vivienne a femme fatale.)

Hope this helps:)

benjams

HSC
thanks - that helped heaps....another question...im doing the worlds most stupid assessment for The Big Sleep (in relation to attitudes, values, times and culture) and my 2 related texts are - Agatha Christie: 10 Little Niggers and The Offspring: Walla Walla....

The Big Sleep is hardboiled obviously, Christie is cosy school and The Offspring??? what would that be classified as - courtroom drama?

shanthi

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, the song Walla Walla is a bit too general for you to label it as a specific school of crime fiction - rather you'd be analysing it as a contemporary text that defies the usual conventions and what values support this more freeform state. This leads in to the idea that nothing in genre can be firmly classified as they all contain elements of hybridity(for example The Big Sleep has elements of romance etc.). I'd also be cautious about using the song in relation to Big Sleep unless you can develop alot of angles on it as later on in the HSC exam(and your trials) you will need to write alot about it.

benjams

HSC
Thanks - yeah i dont plan on using it for the HSC - im thinking something slightly deeper and in a time where i have more time to analyse it thorughly (sp?) the assessment is so stupid - its more based on our technological ablities with powerpoint then with our knowledge - ever heard of 2000 words on a powerpoint? me neither - anyways ill stop procrastinating and rambling and get back to work!

thanks again

Dragie

HSC
Does anybody have any practice essay questions for TBS - I need to practice putting the themes and conventions together through answering a general question.
Thanks

benjams

HSC
1. "Crime Fiction as a genre has been adapted to different times and cutlures and the attitudes and values are reflected by these adaptations" Discuss this statement in relation to The Big Sleep and 2 other related texts

2. To what extent is The Big Sleep typical of the crime fiction genre?

3. The Big Sleep is a film of its time. How is its context and targeted audience reflected in the film?

4. How have the cinematographic techniques been manipulated to add to the film’s intensity? You should discuss some or all of the following in your response: camera angles, camera shots, sets, costumes, lightening, music, sound effects and character development.

(the last ones are more long response questions rather then essays

Dragie

HSC
What are the paragraph ideas you would write for an 'what is the appeal of crime fiction' questions?

cookies1276

HSC
Any info on the bid sleep relating to the crime fiction genre would be good but more specifically I need to write an essay answer to the following: Is the Big Sleep about crime or is it about the values and society that produce it?

Arguments for or against would be appreciated.

Lastly dose anyone have suggestions for good pieces of crime fiction related material?

thanks =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)