the brain (1 Viewer)

NeRdY

HSC
I know this is hard to answer without a diagram but the speech and hearing positions in the brain are in similar positions. Does anyone know which comes first whenm looking at the brain side on? is it speech first. ;)

What i am trying to say is basically where the hell are speech and hearing located in the brain?!?!?!? :uhhuh:

And is light perception in the occipital lobe? :confused:

Tenille_69

NeRdY said:
I know this is hard to answer without a diagram but the speech and hearing positions in the brain are in similar positions. Does anyone know which comes first whenm looking at the brain side on? is it speech first. ;)

What i am trying to say is basically where the hell are speech and hearing located in the brain?!?!?!? :uhhuh:

And is light perception in the occipital lobe? :confused:

This is quite hard to explain without a diagram but i'll do my best.

Sound is processed in two areas of the temporal lobes: Broca's area and Wernicke's area
Broca's area is involved in speech production, specifically assessing syntax of words while listening and comprehending structural complexity.
The information is transmitted from here to Wernicke's area where the content of words are interpreted.

Sound is processed in the temporal lobers on either side of the brain.

If you have a picture handy, ill try to explain where hearing and speech is located. From a side on view, with the brain stem down the middle and Cerebellum on the lower right hand side:
* Hearing is above the brain stem and speech is just above that. (On a 10cm by 10cm diagram) the hearing is about 5cm above brain stem.

Sorry... this must be confusing for you... I hope i helped! ;)

Tenille_69

Sorry i didnt answer the occipital lobe part...

Vision and colour recognition are controlled by the occipital lobes, which are located towards the back of the cerebral cortex.

:)

NeRdY

HSC
Thanx it did help!

But do we really need to go into detail with brocca and wernicke??? cause up until recently i had no idea these things existed!!!

Tenille_69

haha... probably not, but i dont think it could hurt!!
oh and by the way, im no freak at biology - i used the Maq revision guide that had seated itself next to me on the desk :)

NeRdY

HSC
I just found in a uni text book that hearing is in the temporal lobes and not the broca and wernicke areas. broca is located in the frontal interior while wernicke is in the porietal lobe. while light perception is in the occipital lobe.

Tenille_69

NeRdY said:
I just found in a uni text book that hearing is in the temporal lobes and not the broca and wernicke areas. broca is located in the frontal interior while wernicke is in the porietal lobe. while light perception is in the occipital lobe.
yeah thats what i said if you read above :p i said:

"Sound is processed in two areas of the temporal lobes: Broca's area and Wernicke's area. Broca's area is involved in speech production, specifically assessing syntax of words while listening and comprehending structural complexity. The information is transmitted from here to Wernicke's area where the content of words are interpreted"

"Vision and colour recognition are controlled by the occipital lobes, which are located towards the back of the cerebral cortex." :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
wernicke's - speech comprehension, understanding speech
broca's - speech production, the words you produce

damage to wenicke's area leads to someone who can understand what you ask them but when the go to speak they will not speak fluently
damage to broca's area leads to someone who can speak fluently but they will find it difficult to understand when you speak to them

sounds are processed in the auditory cortex, in the temporal lobe (since the temporal lobe is at the side of your head). remember these are SOUNDS - the pitch of the sound etc. that are processed here. don't get this confused with the understanding of speech itself which is processed in wernicke's area.

so, sounds = temporal lobe
speech comprehension = wernicke's area

yes things you see are processed in the occipital lobe, since your eyes are sort of wired up to the back of your head

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)