The cross-pollination of India and China (1 Viewer)

Meryl33

HSC
N/A
Trade beyween China and India is booming.

A friend who just visited Shanghai notices the phenonmenon. This is his third trip to Shanghai. The most obvious change he sees is the number of Indians in Shanghai. He jokes that this is the second Indian invasion. The first one was when British used Punjabi soldiers to police Shanghai before WW2. This time, the Indians are more likely to be from Bangalore or Mumbai.

Come to think of it, if India and China signs a FTA, it will comprise about half the world's population. Industrial and software standards being set by these two coutires is not that far fetched. Time to brush up your Hindi and Mandarin. :)

READ ARTICLE

K

katie_tully

The only Chinese language I'm ever going to learn is on the menu at the local Chinese take away shop.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Hence you intend on learning only the ammount of chineese needed to get by, which may in fact increase if indeed China comes to dominate the world economy.

That said I will reiterate some previous posts: China's dominance relies upon a continued pattern of growth. This growth may well be unsustainable for several reasons; economics of diminishing returns, western mercantilism, internal political/economic stress caused by massive structural adjustment, redistribution of wealth/income, rural/urban divide, gender balance, communism, etc etc.

China's future is not neccaserily one of sunshine, rainbows and gaity.

K

katie_tully

I don't think our knowledge of the Chinese language is going to need to increase, I still see it remaining predominantly English (the language that is) even if China becomes a larger economic super power.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Time for some cultural imperialism:

English is the language of trade/commerce/international business when a chinese businnessman wishes to conduct a deal with a south american they will do so in english. etc etc to succed in the world economy they will learn english. Just as the Europeans, South koreans and Japanese before them.

If nothing else a global language is the legacy of the British Empire.

PS: Being a former part of the british empire Inidia has a head start with high rates of english literacy.

K

katie_tully

Funny, yet some what off course.

My boyfriend works for a wool brokering company, and last year we went on a harbour cruise with some industry people. An Indian couple has bought another local wool brokering company, and then there were just some assorted Asian men interested in Australian wool I guess.
Anyway, the Asian blokes were cool because they kept trying to imitate Australian mannerisms, and hopped around like kangaroos. No dignity at all.

The Indian people just ate all the oysters on the cruise, so I was pissed off..

And I have no idea where that story was going.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
For your information, my conversations with many international students from China is that they have a basic English program initiated in their schools. So it'll probably be more likely that any dealings be through English dialogue.

K

katie_tully

yeah we had japanese pen pals when I did Jap, and apparently Japan has some compulsory English subject, much like we have to do a LOTE in junior high school.

K

katie_tully

we did french for our LOTE. I think we learnt how to master English/French dictionaries, although it only had 2 cuss words. :(

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
katie_tully said:
yeah we had japanese pen pals when I did Jap, and apparently Japan has some compulsory English subject, much like we have to do a LOTE in junior high school.
The problem with Japan's nation-wide english program is that all their listening tapes are done by Americans, leaving Japanese with fucked up american accents.

katie_tully said:
And I have no idea where that story was going.
Get to the seaborne sex bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)