• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Development and use of Biopolymers...(help) (1 Viewer)

ryan1990

HSC
Hey everyone... ive got an assessment task in about a months time on the "Development and Use of Biopolymers". i was wondering if anyone could give me some direction as to where to look for these things. . . We have looked at Cellulose and the condensation polymerisation to form glucose etc... according to our techer, cellulose is a good one to do.. but if there are any other major ones id be happy to hear about them

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys

NB- 4 weeks is a long time, but i wanna get right on top of it! :)

P

pLuvia

Try look at Biopol or polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) or better yet polyhydroxybutanoate which a simpler form of the the PHA

ryan1990

HSC
Any ideas where i can get information on them... i've never herd of any of them, lol, ive only just started the HSC course...

The teacher referred us to the Charles Stuart Uni site to look at the summaries, in particular the biopolymer sections...

Last edited:

tristambrown

HSC
roland smith's conquering chemistry mentions PHB

you can also google B-PolyHydroxyButanoate from recombinant e.coli on substrate of yeast extract & tryptone (though the above is about all you need to know + maybe the structure though the name gives it away ... it is a butanoic acid ester with a Hydroxy group ... it;s alternate name is poly,3,hydroxybutanoate - guess which carbon the OH group sits on :) )

there are several papers stating the development of this biopolymer from this engineered version of the common as muck bacteria.

it has similar properties to polypropylene except that it is biodegradable and renewable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)