• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The (Musical) Long And The Short Of It. (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
A thread to list your favourite 'epic' and 'concise' songs. While this is of course an arbitrary chronological distinction, in this case, 'epic' is over 10 minutes, while 'concise' is below 2 1/2 minutes. :p

Epic
Sonic Youth-The Diamond Sea, Trilogy
The Dirty Three-Authentic Celestial Music, I Offered It Up To The Stars And The Night Sky
Mogwai-Mogwai Fear Satan, Xmas Steps
Do Make Say Think-Goodbye Enemy Airship
Godspeed You Black Emperor!-Moya, Sleep
Bob Dylan-Desolation Row, Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands
Miles Davis-Sanctuary, Bitches Brew, Right Off
Modest Mouse/764 Hero-Whenever You See Fit
Glenn Branca-The Spectacular Commodity
Television-Marquee Moon
Tortoise-Djed

Concise
Nick Drake-Pink Moon
Modest Mouse-Wild Packs Of Family Dogs
The Smiths-Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, William It Was Really Nothing
Nirvana-Territorial Pissings
The Pixies-Wave Of Mutiliation, Dead, In Heaven (Lady In The Radiator Song)
Yo La Tengo-Shadows
Bob Dylan-Subterranean Homesick Blues
Radiohead-Lozenge Of Love, You Never Wash Up After Yourself, Banana Co
Joy Division-Interzone, From Safety To Where?
John Lennon-Hold On
Augie March-Believe Me (Basically a transition piece, but it has its own effect..)
The Beatles-Many, including Eleanor Rigby, Blackbird, We Can Work It Out etc:

Yours?

walrusbear

HSC
excellent call on JD - from safety to where?

pixies would have most of their songs win concise songs

for miles davis most of the tracks around the 50s and 60s from kind of blue and albums like that are great. is 'so what' and 'all blues' over 10 mins??

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by walrusbear

for miles davis most of the tracks around the 50s and 60s from kind of blue and albums like that are great. is 'so what' and 'all blues' over 10 mins??
:)

All Blues counts, being 11:33 long, while So What is 'only' 9:22. (Its examples like that that highlight 10:00 being an arbitrary number used for the sake of convenience)

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
well gregor i think you covered just about all mine, although i have to add monheim by godspeed

oh and er, i dont think goodbye enemy airship is over 10 minutes. heheheh

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
The Pixies-In Heaven (Lady In The Radiator Song)
i like to imagine that black francis is a soldier in a trench and he gets shot in the gut halfway through the song

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
oh and how nice is believe me by augie march

its such a nice sounding album in general actually. i was getting my girlfriend into here comes the night the other day on the train

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by walrusbear

blue in green is my favorite miles song

walrusbear

HSC
i'd have to say 'so what' is my fav off kind of blue too :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by um..

oh and er, i dont think goodbye enemy airship is over 10 minutes. heheheh
*Checks*. Goodbye Enemy Airship is 12:37, and yes, Sunset Studies is a very nice sounding album, right from the opening 'haze' of The Hole In Your Roof, to the clarinet outro of Tulip (One of my favourite songs from Sunset Studies), to Men Who Search For Spring The Year Round, to Heartbeat & Sails, right through to Owen's Latment. Excellent album.

Speaking of Augie March, I've been getting into their cover of 'Beds Are Burning' as of late.. The musical backing heightens the meaning of the lyrics, and I always like covers that are radical, yet manage to maintain the essence of the original. We need an Augie March thread. :p

As for 'favourite song on Kind Of Blue', that is an incredibly hard question. Beyond So What, Blue In Green and All Blues, there is still Freddie Freeloader and Flamenco Sketches to choose from.. Not that thats a bad thing.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
*Checks*. Goodbye Enemy Airship is 12:37, and yes, Sunset Studies is a very nice sounding album, right from the opening 'haze' of The Hole In Your Roof, to the clarinet outro of Tulip (One of my favourite songs from Sunset Studies), to Men Who Search For Spring The Year Round, to Heartbeat & Sails, right through to Owen's Latment. Excellent album.

Speaking of Augie March, I've been getting into their cover of 'Beds Are Burning' as of late.. The musical backing heightens the meaning of the lyrics, and I always like covers that are radical, yet manage to maintain the essence of the original. We need an Augie March thread. :p

As for 'favourite song on Kind Of Blue', that is an incredibly hard question. Beyond So What, Blue In Green and All Blues, there is still Freddie Freeloader and Flamenco Sketches to choose from.. Not that thats a bad thing.
oh you know what, i was thinking of the landlord is dead - im pretty sure its below ten. gee its a good song too, closest ive seen them get to rock. have you got the new album yet?

oh and you should download glenn richards cover of the split enz song 'charile.' its very nice

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by um..
oh you know what, i was thinking of the landlord is dead - im pretty sure its below ten. gee its a good song too, closest ive seen them get to rock. have you got the new album yet?

oh and you should download glenn richards cover of the split enz song 'charile.' its very nice
Yeah, The Landlord Is Dead is below 10 minutes, 5:39 or thereabouts. I haven't gotten the new album yet due to financial shortages (Uni textbook-purchases), and local stores not having it in stock.

'Charlie' is a nice cover. Speaking of Augie March covers, although it isn't really 'nice', their version of 'Reptile' is very good as well.

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
well they're not that long but the longest songs i can think of are
robbie williams- me and my monkey 7:12
beatles- hey jude.. depends what version u listen to.. can get up to about 10mins

walrusbear

HSC
ahhh good call

i think us and them should be allowed
it's only about 7 mins tho

echoes is alright epic

also, astronomy domine and see emily play are both good concise tracks
most early PF would be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)