• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The personal statement (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm applying for USYD merit/entry scholarship...any tips on the personal statement? I know there are some on the website and I have looked at them. Has anyone here applied and got it before?

Thanks

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
I'm applying for USYD merit/entry scholarship...any tips on the personal statement? I know there are some on the website and I have looked at them. Has anyone here applied and got it before?

Thanks
Yep. It really depends on the individual but your primary foci should be the following

1. Try to convey a bit of your personality in the statement
2. Let them know what makes you passionate about what you want to do in uni
3. Why Usyd and not another uni?

The thing is if your personal statement is good then they may eventually invite you for an interview. Don't go overboard in listing your achievements in the personal statement, you can let the people know this during the interview. The personal statement is really there to help get "who you are" across and why you want to fo to Usyd

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
having said that, do mention some of your achievements, maybe your "best" one, but yeah, the personal statement should focus more on getting your personal qualities across rather than wanking off to your academic achievements.

Good luck :) !

HSC
BTW approx how long should it be? The form says max 1 A4 page but that seems like a ***load?

deswa1

HSC
BTW approx how long should it be? The form says max 1 A4 page but that seems like a ***load?
Why not use the whole page? I started writing mine the other day and I can go for a whole page easy- just make sure its actual quality and not waffle. Just use as much as you need imo to convey your character and convince USyd that you deserve the scholarship more than the other applicants.

RishBonjour

HSC
I'm going to start mine tomorrow. Some Syd uni people came to our school to tell us about it, They said to not list achievements and all that, but rather, show your personality and passion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)