The significance of Cicero and his political career 79-49 (1 Viewer)

smurkie

HSC
hey guys,
I have this question on identifying and assessing the significance of cicero and his political career to Rome between 79-49 BC but i have no idea how to start/how to approach this question! I have a bit of knowledge but dont really know how to make the links! Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
For content this should be a great resource...my ancient history teacher loved ancient sources. (Its Plutarch's biography of Cicero)

For my assessment in relation to Cicero I had to integrate the entire thing into a perspective that compared him to Caesar.

draft of my assessment intro said:
Who was Cicero?

Marcus Tullius Cicero was born 6 years before Caesar in early 106BC and died in late 43BC. In his lifetime he had a varied career. He had a successful political career, was a great and outspoken lawyer and most of all was a distinguished citizen of Rome on the side of the republic. It is believed by many that Cicero ushered in the peak of life in Rome and with his death the high was ended. Cicero served in the army as staff of Pompey’s father in the Social War and in this time was made a client of Pompey. Cicero came from the gentry-classed equestrians and therefore was neither noble patrician or plebian. He came from a relatively unknown family in the political world and when elected consul was the first novus homo to do so in over thirty years.

Cicero’s political career started in 75BC where he served as quaestor in Western Siciliy and later prosecuted corrupt governor Gaius Verres. In 69BC he was then elected the magistracy of aedile and consequently increased with popularity amongst the people. In 66BC he furthered his career by becoming praetor and in that year supported Pompey’s command against Mithridates. In 63BC Cicero reached the peak of his political magistracy career by being elected as joint consul. Even in this position with all eyes on every move he does he openly defended and protected the Republican system ruling Rome. Because of this he supported Pompey in the civil war of 49. After the assassination of Caesar, which Cicero had nothing to do with, Cicero hoped that Rome will return back to the old republican rule so speaks out against Mark Antony. Through his Phillipics speeches he tried to make Antony a public enemy of Rome but was betrayed by the ‘Second Triumvirate’ who proscribed and beheaded him in 43BC.

smurkie

HSC
wow! thanks so much for that! do you know what sort of line of argument i might work along with the importance of Cicero?

BOSS"06"

HSC
well i think you should start with the greatest event that Cicero ahd done and work backwards, for example the cataline conspiracy all the way upto his death, hope that helps

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
BOSS"06" said:
well i think you should start with the greatest event that Cicero ahd done and work backwards, for example the cataline conspiracy all the way upto his death, hope that helps
You wouldn't give Cicero justice by starting off with the Cataline conspiracy especially if the question asks for a period 15ish years earlier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)