The truth is killing me... help! (1 Viewer)

syaozukino

HSC
OK, I'm pretty desperate at the moment with my english teacher bombarding me with work - and making me feel pretty crap and stressed about the subject too..

So the question: what exactly is the truth? is there an easy way for me to gain a basic understanding of this module because i feel totally lost and am seriously struggling...
Also, how can i identify ideas of truths from related texts? what should i look out for?

thanks for your attention!

(why dont i ask my teacher? i'm not on the best side of her (my work is trailing and my marks are dropping) and i want to somehow regain my position in this subject without her help! and prove that i am capable!... coz it seems she's kind of doubting my ability in this subject..)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
syaozukino said:
OK, I'm pretty desperate at the moment with my english teacher bombarding me with work - and making me feel pretty crap and stressed about the subject too..

So the question: what exactly is the truth? is there an easy way for me to gain a basic understanding of this module because i feel totally lost and am seriously struggling...
Also, how can i identify ideas of truths from related texts? what should i look out for?

thanks for your attention!

(why dont i ask my teacher? i'm not on the best side of her (my work is trailing and my marks are dropping) and i want to somehow regain my position in this subject without her help! and prove that i am capable!... coz it seems she's kind of doubting my ability in this subject..)
In regards to what the truth is...this is where English suits almost anyone because you are surprised to write your response in relation to what you THINK the truth...(although of course do not use 'I' and 'Me' in essays). Generally what most questions get at is that Media in fact formulates the truth, or manipulates it...to make a reality. For instance in regards to the 'Children Overboard' thing...the media made the public believe that i child was callously thrown overboard by the treatment of the story...eg the image of the child in the water was cropped so all the rescuers who had jumped off the ship were no longer in shot, which hence makes it look a whole lot worse. Sorry if im not making sense...but basically you are trying to outline how various forms of media MAKE truth.

In regards to other related texts and analysing them...looks out for texts that look exaggerated in what they say; use of emotive language, images, suppression of an oppossing view...stuff like that. Take for instance a feature article, which uses emotive language and is often written from just ONE side of an issue...but really what you look for in an other related text varies in regards to the form of media you are looking at.

Hope this helps. It is a very hard topic to get a grasp of I think, because of the ambiguity of what the truth is, and whether there should be a concrete definition or what...like is there even such thing as 'truth' at all?

syaozukino

HSC
Wow, thanks for such a thorough answer!
And thank you for an introduction to the 'Children Overboard' issue too - how interesting!
Feeling a bit better about the module now... although i got 2 essays due tomorroW! argh~.. anyone have any ideas on the module C questions of 2003 and 2002 HSC?

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
read some additional texts and look at
a) how the truth is portrayed
b) why those hearing what is being said accept it as the truth eg. because of physical evidence, memories, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)