Thoughts on Extension 2 Maths (2 Viewers)

bored of sc

HSC
I know its a bit early but I am thinking about whether or not to do extension 2 maths. I am not the smartest cookie and my marks in extension 1 are mediocre. So I was wondering what kinda marks and ranks are good in extension 1 in year 11 to be worthy for extension 2?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Don't worry over ranks, only you yourself can determine it.

To give you a rough indicator, if you're getting 60-80's average in 3unit (obviously varies with school exams/difficulty) then you're more than competent for 4unit.

I suggest however, that if you do 4unit - have a bit of a love for math and take an interest in it, it requires more effort than you think.

Go for it though, its fun and rewarding.

e-star!09

HSC
i heard that the 4unit exam/course is a lot 'softer' than 2unit (or 3 unit, don't remember.. which is not good...xP)
so, if you think you are pretty good at understanding/picking up maths, then I rckn go for it, cause, if u can do 4 unit, you should be able to ace 3 unit. But then again, isn't that the same for 3 unit and 2unit?! argh! i am not making sense...
ok, lets try this again *reads question again* OH
Ok, marks? You probably have to be getting pretty good marks in Ext1 otherwise ur teachers will all be telling you not to do Ext2 (though, I don't think they can really stop you from doing it)
you know what.. I'm going to stop now... I'm not making any sense at all

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
My sister did Ext. 2 maths, actually, both my sisters did it, and they turned out fine. They both really did have a love of maths, which turned into dust after completing Extension 2, but if you really like it then go for it! But I think if you are considering whether you want to do the subject according to your rank and marks, I wouldn't touch Ext. 2 if I wasn't in the top 5 and/or scoring at least over 75% in each 3U exam.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i'll be doing it next year because all my friends are or will be doing it. :D

Peer pressure. :(

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
foram said:
i'll be doing it next year because all my friends are or will be doing it. :D

Peer pressure. :(
that's a bit tragic foram...
but I think i might be doing because my dad is making me - it's asian tradition =="

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
that's a bit tragic foram...
but I think i might be doing because my dad is making me - it's asian tradition =="
4U math is such an asian subject. My physics teacher assumes i'm good at math cause i'm chinese. And i am good at math, and everybody accepts that I beat then at math because i'm chinese.

It's pretty weird, I go up to them and say, "What mark did you get?" and they'll say, "85/120", then I'll say "I beat you! I got 107/120" and then they'll reply, "Yea, well, thats cause you're asian." :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
foram said:
4U math is such an asian subject. My physics teacher assumes i'm good at math cause i'm chinese. And i am good at math, and everybody accepts that I beat then at math because i'm chinese.

It's pretty weird, I go up to them and say, "What mark did you get?" and they'll say, "85/120", then I'll say "I beat you! I got 107/120" and then they'll reply, "Yea, well, thats cause you're asian." :D
rofl. Yup yup, asian tradiation to do science topics and 4U Maths. You're probably disowned by your parents if you don't do it or something *shudders at the thought*

Yeah my non-asian friends always go "why do you asians so smart? is it all the rice you eat?" i love the rice connotations :p

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I want to do Extension 2 Maths but... yeah... don't know if I'm up for it. I came like... 12th in my year but yeah... still hesitant. :(

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
4-unit isn't hard, most of the topics is just heavy algebra.

e-star!09

HSC
foram said:

OMG, so true! makes it even worse because I wear glasses.... just because i'm short-sighted does NOT make me good at maths! well, i suppose it could actually, since maybe my 'lack' in sight might have been 'gain' in smartness... if only!:p also, i'm probably worse off since i can't read the board.... :uhoh:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I will be doing Mathematics Extension 2 next year.

By the way, I don't think Asians hold a particular aptitude in Mathematics. It is just that they work hard in their subjects. Some may be naturally gifted but most work their way.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
I know its a bit early but I am thinking about whether or not to do extension 2 maths. I am not the smartest cookie and my marks in extension 1 are mediocre. So I was wondering what kinda marks and ranks are good in extension 1 in year 11 to be worthy for extension 2?
Well, I am not really sure. I think you should look at the marks in the vicinity of 80-90% in the Mathematics Extension 1. Lower than that seems quite insufficient. However different schools give different exams, so I don't really know.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
I want to do Extension 2 Maths but... yeah... don't know if I'm up for it. I came like... 12th in my year but yeah... still hesitant. :(
12th in NSBH is more than enough!!! :D :D :D

Go for it!

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
rofl. Yup yup, asian tradiation to do science topics and 4U Maths. You're probably disowned by your parents if you don't do it or something *shudders at the thought*
You do know , that alot of the things your studying in maths today were and have been created by Arabs , its sad to see so many uneducated arabs today. Was not the case back then. Angers me tbh.

Algebra is a branch of mathematics concerning the study of structure, relation and quantity. The name is derived from the treatise written by the Persian[1] mathematician, astronomer, astrologer and geographer, Muhammad bin Mūsā al-Khwārizmī

bettina44

HSC
my teacher said you should get an average of 90+ in maths to do maths ext2.i also want to do 4u maths only cause i want to drop eng ext,phy and dt by the end of the year. my marks are fine and all but she told me not to do it since its got nothing to do with what i want to be-graphic/interior design,yes i know sooo maths related.

on another note,the other day my friend chem teacher(who's asian) was rambling on about something that no one got,and she called out 'you know not everyone has asian brains.' lol

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm hoping to do Extension 2 Maths. We'll see how I go though. :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Laphonso-Ellis said:
Are you posting from school?
Nah, we're in exam periods, and I don't have any exams today, so I get the day off.

Are you? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)