Thoughts on the Ali Abdaal spaced repetition, active recall, military-industrial complex? (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Hello all.

I’m assuming a lot of you have watched at least one Ali Abdaal video some time in your studies. What do you think of his now infamous ‘method’ to studying? Basically just spacing out flash card viewings over an increasing period of time (he vouches for the Anki app in its ability to do this). Personally, I have used Anki for one science test at the end of last year and didn’t see any major difference in my results. Writing notes and answering textbook questions prompted a similar mark. So what’s your opinion on Ali’s method? Has it worked for you or are there other ways of netting similar results?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
bro i just study idk maybe im doing it wrong but i just decide to study and yea

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Although I don't particularly 'use his methods', his content is pretty good and evidence backed. That sort of content is more so about how to be an 'active learner' as opposed to a 'passive learner'.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I feel like I watch study videos just to pretend like im studying lol. Felt like most didn't work for me. I found that when I'm in the mind to study I can go on hours without needing breaks so I make sure I'm not mentally exhausted and motivated to study. I study ahead as well so when we do learn the content its more easier to understand. I'm sure there's million ways to optimise it but just find the most efficient way you study and stick to it IMO.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
and is studying with music bad? i can't study without music at all its just so boring
It is 'recommended' that if you were to study with music, it be without lyrics. This is due to reasons surrounding focus

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
It is 'recommended' that if you were to study with music, it be without lyrics. This is due to reasons surrounding focus
nah bro i cant do that 🤣 tried listening to those classical stuff and i was out. Its not bad if you're studying maths or some grindy subject but is garbage for like HSIE etc. since you're tryna memorise words.

aulinia

HSC
There’s no ‘cheat’ to studying imo, all comes down to personal preference and the way you personally learn. Everyone has their own style of studying, what works for someone may not work for you. As you progress in studying and developing your skills, there are definitely effective study methods but it still comes down to how you learn personally and absorb information

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)