• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Time it takes for Uni applications (1 Viewer)

ibbybiby

HSC
So, I'm doing my HSC this year and I was wondering usually how much processing and paperwork do I need to go through for Uni applications and all that?

I'm going to go overseas at the end of the year, well after the HSC and I was wondering when the best time would be to go. I would rather go after the main rounds and stuff have come out, but apparently there is a lot to do after that. Is it true?

Yea, just a random question but answers would be good so my parent's can stop pestering me.

Kthanxbai :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Not much processing or paper work. Some Unis allow you to do it online and others in person (since you'll be overseas you can get a proxy to do it for you).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have a particular degree program in mind?

rayy_bann

HSC
So, I'm doing my HSC this year and I was wondering usually how much processing and paperwork do I need to go through for Uni applications and all that?

I'm going to go overseas at the end of the year, well after the HSC and I was wondering when the best time would be to go. I would rather go after the main rounds and stuff have come out, but apparently there is a lot to do after that. Is it true?

Yea, just a random question but answers would be good so my parent's can stop pestering me.

Kthanxbai :)
Yes as Omnipotence said, it differs from university to university on how to accept an offer. For example, for Macquarie University you must activate your 'estudent' account and accept online. Others may require you to do it manually by mail, etc.

I too went overseas, and one thing you MUST do is ensure you have you 'Tax file number' TFN. This is what you will need for HECS when you accept your offer into university. Getting it early saves you the time from doing it frantically at the last minute, plus it takes a couple of weeks from applying to actually get your number. So you should give yourself ample time for this.

If you want anymore information about this, you may look at university websites or even ask others in other universities the procedures of accepting. But as for now I recommend that you just focus on the HSC. In saying that, I hope you do well and always keep up with your studies! Good luck! :)

ibbybiby

HSC
Do you have a particular degree program in mind?
I don't really, I'm still not sure what I want to do yet so I'm kinda juggling a lot of possible degrees up in my head right now. I guess if I knew I could look more into the application process.

Yes as Omnipotence said, it differs from university to university on how to accept an offer. For example, for Macquarie University you must activate your 'estudent' account and accept online. Others may require you to do it manually by mail, etc.

I too went overseas, and one thing you MUST do is ensure you have you 'Tax file number' TFN. This is what you will need for HECS when you accept your offer into university. Getting it early saves you the time from doing it frantically at the last minute, plus it takes a couple of weeks from applying to actually get your number. So you should give yourself ample time for this.

If you want anymore information about this, you may look at university websites or even ask others in other universities the procedures of accepting. But as for now I recommend that you just focus on the HSC. In saying that, I hope you do well and always keep up with your studies! Good luck! :)
I have my TFN already, so that won't be a problem. I probably should ask my careers adviser for more information about applications and all that.

izzy88

HSC
In terms of the accepting uni offers, enrolment process, it is fine to go overseas so long as you have someone back in australia who will be your proxy for you - this means they go to the university to enrol for you if it requires enrolment on campus (ie. not online). I did this and it worked out fine. However you do have to be prepared with what subjects etc you want to do and have all the proxy enrolment paperwork filled out. So you need to have looked up what degree you are most likely going to be doing, write down what subjects you want to enrol in, fill in the authorisation for proxy form, and give your proxy clear instructions on what they need to do. My older cousin enrolled for me, which worked fine because he was at uni (a different one), but he knew the drill/what would be occuring.

However I just want to clarify something about your question - if you are talking about actual applications for uni, this is all done through the atar (for most degrees). So all you have to do is submit preferences. It's not like the US or something where you have to write extra essays or fill out detailed questionaires (unless you want to study music or fine arts or something which may then require auditions or portfolios). It doesn't in the end take much time at all to actually 'apply' as such for the different uni's.

ibbybiby

HSC
Do you know when the enrollments usually occur? It would be after when the main round has come out right?

I know how the process works in Australia, but I just didn't know what else to call it. I was I guess wondering more about the enrollment process, and the things that need to happen.

Anyways, thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)