• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

tips and resources for these subjects!!D; (1 Viewer)

super meat boy

HSC
hi guys im a first year student studying actuarial and i need some help T.T:eek2:
Anyone have past papers or tips or notes on these following courses and can share with me,thanks for helping !!!
Econ1101
Math1511
Acct1501
Fins1613
Thanks a lot!

mreditor16

HSC
I haven't done FINS1613 yet, so I can only give my thoughts on MATH1151, ACCT1501 and ECON1101 -

MATH1151

* I would encourage you to attend most (if not all) of the lectures, because some of the topics covered can be pretty hard to self-teach.
* Practice as much as you can with the tutorial questions, located in the course pack.
* Try not to fall behind, because each topic builds upon the previous topics. You can't really expect to learn bits and pieces, and then somewhow ace your exams.
* The final exam is usually worth 64%, and is basically make or break for your final mark. So, make sure you get enough study for finals - ideally, by the time you reach finals, you have strong understanding of course content and you're ripping through the past papers (in the Course Pack).
* The Algebra course notes (in the course pack) are really good, since it is specifically tailored to suit the Actuarial kids. However, for Calculus, they only provide the 1131/41 course notes and lecture notes, so you may have to learn the additional Calculus content through the given 1151 lecture notes or supplementary resources like YouTube, KhanAcacdemy, Dr Chris Tisdell's YouTube videos.

ACCT1501

* Try to get full marks for all the online quizzes, because its pretty much easy marks, since you can do it with your friends and consult resources such as your textbook, Google etc
* Make sure to practice effectively and make sure you're solid with your concepts. Be careful with silly mistakes, because it can result in the deduction of many marks. Pretty much, there is an emphasis on accuracy in this course, especially since its so quantitative.
* Stay on top of the content, as you learn it. Each week builds upon the last, so if you've fallen behind, the next week's lecture won't make any sense.
* From what I've heard, PASS classes are quite good to utilise for 1501.
* Make sure to have a go at all the past papers in the lead-up to the final exam. It will help you better understand course content (especially the concepts that they commonly test) and they rehash a lot of questions from past finals for your mid-sem exams / final exam.

ECON1101

* Make sure to do your textbook readings – they are critical. The textbook covers concepts an in-depth, utilising pretty solid examples.
* ECON1101 is very centred around the textbook, with homework and tutorial tests strongly based upon it. This means staying up to date with textbook readings is very important
* Ensure that you're fully prepared for class tests. Make sure to go over tutorial HW, because the questions in your class tests will be very similar in style to your tutorial HW.
* Put in a solid effort for the hand-in Qs seriously. Even if you're not sure what to put in, then put in any information you can think of. The tutorials are instructed to give you marks for whether the certain things they want mentioned is mentioned. You're not marked on your responses' structure or length. If you have the right answer somewhere on the page (even if it's amongst lots of irrelevant stuff), you should expect to still get the mark.

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
FINS1613

I think Rob Tumarkin is still the LIC for 1613. If so, then definitely try to attend all lectures as his explanations are very clear and easy to understand. Also, I found that the lecture slides comprehensively covered all points, which made the textbook redundant.

mreditor16

HSC
FINS1613

I think Rob Tumarkin is still the LIC for 1613. If so, then definitely try to attend all lectures as his explanations are very clear and easy to understand. Also, I found that the lecture slides comprehensively covered all points, which made the textbook redundant.
He's not the LIC anymore. It's now Maloney. Tumarkin will be lecturing a few weeks tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)