TPS Question (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone,

HSC IPT is in a few days so I would really appreciate if someone explains this rather small point:

Apparently real-time processing is also referred to as OLTP (Online Transaction Processing). However, whenever I look up a definition for OLTP, I find definitions that are completely different/not related to real-time processing.

My question is, are real-time processing and OLTP the same thing, are they similar, or are they completely different things? If so, could someone please explain the difference to me?

Thanks a lot!

nsbhsIPTguru

HSC
Hello, I only do AMS and MMS as option topics, but I can still provide some relevant information.
OLTP can be considered a type of real time processing, as it processes transactional data immediately after purchases/transactions are made. Real time processing should however not be used interchangeably with OLTP, as not all processing relates to transactions. Eg. an RFID reader performs real time processing when someone presents their card to be scanned, but this is not a transaction taking place.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I was interested in doing AMS a lot but we studied TPS and Multimedia systems.

It was starting to get really confusing until you helped me. Thanks a lot! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)