• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Transfer from BA to BA/BEd (Humanities)? (1 Viewer)

wizard146

HSC
Hi,

I definately want to go to Sydney this year and have been thinking for ages that I will do a BA because I'm not completely sure what i want to do. I'm considering doing teaching later on but i don't want to decide completely now. I didn't think I was interested in secondary teaching, more in primary but now I think I might like both.
However, I don't know if its worth doing a whole five years of a Arts/ Ed degree if I don't really know if I will use the education part at all, and I think it might be better just to do Arts, with a DipEd later on if I still want to teach. But obviously with a B Ed (Humanities) I could teach lots more subjects well than just with a DipEd.

Can I transfer from a BA to a BA/ BEd (Humanities)? Should I just change my preferences from a BA to a BA/ BEd (Humanities)?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
wizard146 said:
Hi,

I definately want to go to Sydney this year and have been thinking for ages that I will do a BA because I'm not completely sure what i want to do. I'm considering doing teaching later on but i don't want to decide completely now. I didn't think I was interested in secondary teaching, more in primary but now I think I might like both.
However, I don't know if its worth doing a whole five years of a Arts/ Ed degree if I don't really know if I will use the education part at all, and I think it might be better just to do Arts, with a DipEd later on if I still want to teach. But obviously with a B Ed (Humanities) I could teach lots more subjects well than just with a DipEd.

Can I transfer from a BA to a BA/ BEd (Humanities)? Should I just change my preferences from a BA to a BA/ BEd (Humanities)?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Firstly, USYD doesn't offer a DipEd, it instead offers a graduate BTeach/MTeach program and secondly (at least at MQ, ACU and UNSW) with the grad DipEd you can choose two teaching methods just like with the BEd. It should also be noted that USYD's BTeach/MTeach program allows you to teach in two methods also.

It also might be worth your while to note that people with Primary Education degrees sometimes do teach in junior high school in a variety of subjects. And again you can do Primary Ed as a grad diploma/bachelor/master etc.

So really you can pick whichever - now or later - to do education and it won't make that big of a difference.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Just my 5 cents: My mum works at a primary school and some of the teachers have a b ed in high school...but they are primary teachers.

it's a lot easier to go from being a high school teacher to a primary school teacher. the inter-linking course that u do is a lot less in terms of workloads and years to go from high school to primary.

i agree with kami. if u do want to do the b arts, you can always get a dip ed/b teaching at ANY university even years after u graduate from ur b arts. it's really popular to do!

however, if ur dead set on ed now, do the ed/arts. it is a great degree!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)