Transfer Q's. (1 Viewer)

mack

Banned
HSC
Just wondering, is there some distance between your Uai and the cutoff published at which transfer simply becomes impossible? I understand that the further away your Uai is the harder you have to work to make the cutoff, but is there some point where not even straight 100% will get you a transfer to your desired course?

Another question also, say hypothetically i didnt make the cutoff for Unsw commerce, but i made unsw economics. Could i take subjects in economics that are also in commerce so i could transfer and still get my degree in the same amount of time? The only real difference is the degree title isnt it? Same coursework and everything?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Look/ask in the transfers forum (where this thread will soon be, I guess)...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
the trasnfers forum is one of the sub forums in general uni...

if i remember right, b. commerce and b. economics at unsw have the same first year units... so yes you would be granted those credit/exemptions/waivers if you are successful in trasnferring to b. commerce..... i think someone on this board did that...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mack said:
Just wondering, is there some distance between your Uai and the cutoff published at which transfer simply becomes impossible? I understand that the further away your Uai is the harder you have to work to make the cutoff, but is there some point where not even straight 100% will get you a transfer to your desired course?
Yes. Just say you got a UAI of 50. Even if you got straight HD's at University you would still only have a UAI of (50 + 99.5)/2 = 74.75. Now if you wanted to get into Commerce or Combined Law at a University like USyd or UNSW, then you would need a UAI of >95 (I can't remember what the exact non-recent school leaver cutoffs are for these courses, but you should be about to find them on this forum somewhere) and hence you wouldn't be able to get into that degree:(.

mack said:
Another question also, say hypothetically i didnt make the cutoff for Unsw commerce, but i made unsw economics. Could i take subjects in economics that are also in commerce so i could transfer and still get my degree in the same amount of time? The only real difference is the degree title isnt it? Same coursework and everything?
Yes, you can definitely do this:).

mack said:
Minai possibly?
Yes, Minai was the person that did that:).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
as merethrond said. ^
but if you get into B.Eco, you should be able to transfer to Commerce with a mid-credit average (to be sure) and above.

and yes, as jlh said, you get full credit for your first year, so you go straight into 2nd year subjects if you transfer

MrA

whoa...mid-credit average is definately enough? Then what would u need to have a chance :p ?
btw, how much difference is there in the NRSL cutoff to the RSL cutoff?

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
MrA said:
whoa...mid-credit average is definately enough? Then what would u need to have a chance :p ?
btw, how much difference is there in the NRSL cutoff to the RSL cutoff?
Well...I wouldn't say "definite" - speaking from my perspective, I got in to B.Com with a 95.25 UAI and a Distinction average..the UAI for this year was 96.00.

We dont know the NRSL cutoff for commerce, cause they wont give it to us..but we do know the UNSW Law one has been around the 95.80 mark (I just missed law, as my NRSL rank was 95.625)...so I'd guess the commerce one to be anywhere between 92-94.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)