• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

transferring to another UTS course. (1 Viewer)

skynet89

HSC
hi i'm doing journalism/law at the moment and wish to transfer to construction/arts. I've tried googling and i'm still not sure how to apply. Is it through UAC or UTS. Am i too late?

i've almost completed my first year of my current degree.

any help would be great thanks

skynet89

HSC
yeh ive decided to just drop a part of my combined degree so i wont need to go through UAC.

one question though, if i'm dropping one part (law), if i HYPOTHETICALLY fail lol, does it matter? because im dropping or will it affect my other degree.

skynet89

HSC
yeah i found that already. would you be able to answer my other question please?

I'm doing ok, just exams are coming up and i was just wondering.

also is it hard to transfer? like is there a risk i won't be able to drop it or something.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
skynet89 said:
yeah i found that already. would you be able to answer my other question please?

I'm doing ok, just exams are coming up and i was just wondering.

also is it hard to transfer? like is there a risk i won't be able to drop it or something.
Most if not all of your Internal Course Transfer application will be based on your university average, so don't fail.

Transferring depends on the demand of the course (Journalism). As I come from a Business/Computing degree, some of my friends transferred to the straight Business degree (dropping Computing), and they all succeeded. Something to note is they both had credit plus averages. Generally business at UTS is a very high demand course though.

If you need more information, you should be discussing your application with a Faculty Staff Member:
"You must discuss your transfer proposal with staff in the faculty before submitting your application."
http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/course/transfer/continuing.html

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Huratio is right. You'll find that UTS will look at your course average. However, if there is a low demand, and your reasons for dropping part of a combined degree are because you're not doing well in one (yet you ARE doing well in the other) you may find yourself lucky.

An example:
IT: 80
Business/IT: 85
Business:90

A student in bus/IT needs to prove themselves competent to move UP to business. From personal experience, a lot of the people in the double degree couldn't get into business, so they used the double degree as an "entry point", hence the need for a high credit average. However, the lack of demand for straight IT, combined with the fact that it is of a lower UAI requirement than the double degree means that UTS would probably have a lower requirement to drop business rather than to drop IT.

I can't say personally what you'll encounter, but more likely than not, you'd do best to at least try to pass the course you want to drop, and excel (as in, above average marks) in the course that you want to keep.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)