• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

transuranic and commercial (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
hi ppl,

what exactly do we write for this dotpoint describe how commerical radioisotopes r produced?

i wrote about cyclotrons and nuclear reactors and gave some examples but aren;t transuranic elements produced in the same way i mean transuranci elements are also produced by nuclear reactors and accelerators

i am confused. help!!!

plzzz

HSC
Make sure to identify some examples such as hassium which is the fusion of Lead and Iron, I think that was done in cyclotron, you launch the nuclei at a target

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
do they mean you should give examples of commercial radioisotopes and describe how they are synthesised? :)
because if yes, then you should learn 1 or 2 commercial radioisotopes such as technitium-99m and cobalt-60. if no, ignore me.

i'll be happy to recount how they're made if you want :uhhuh:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
the two dp are awfully similar...
sth along the lines of:
"how are commercial radioisotpes produced"
"how are transuranic elements produced"

both maybe from linear accelerator, cyclotron, nulear reactor...
know 1 example of each will aid u too...

HSC
You get a bit more specific with commercial radioisotopes, you gotta talk about not just the original element and how its bomarded, but any decay processes it has too go through (or may go through) to get desired product (ie. Tc-99m), some don't require that (like Americium)- but theres' a distinct difference

but if you say transuranic elements produced its alot simpler, you just say how one is produced (ie. bombardment of neutrons) and thats it

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
U238 fission into Mo 99 and Sn something i recall... can't remember exact thing
then Mo99 beta decays to Tc 99m

HSC
Yeh I was reading it on CSU, Transuranic is basically stepping up the weight/atomic numbers, and commercial is usually fission into smaller elements, or decaying ...

Its very general what I'm saying, go to csu for the specificly what I'm talking about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)