• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Trial Listening (1 Viewer)

karnevil

HSC
did anyone else here do the Trial written by Masumi Sorrell?

It started with the question about Japanese women train drivers... (im not gona mention any more in case there are ppl here who havent done it yet! a lot of schools do this paper!!!)

I couldnt believe how hard this listening was... i only got 16/25

doing a listening task like this when ive been practising using old HSC listening tasks was so hard.. what did you guys think of it?

btw try and keep your answers ambiguous.. theres a chance a few ppl here are yet to do their trial.. u cant take the chance! :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It was really difficult, I only got 15. Considering my usual standard, I'm very shocked. It's twice as hard as any of the HSC stuff we have done.

If anyone is yet to do it, try to learn tricky, similar-sounding word pairs.

karnevil

HSC
yeah at least the HSC one will be easier if the trend of the past two years continues..... i did the 2002 one and got 25/25 for it

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh yes, I really hope they keep the HSC exams nice and trickless. Who do they expect to know that his grandma [did thing] when he sounds so apathetic? Maybe he hates her.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I thought I heard that in that question.
Bye bye polok's marks. *waves bye to them*
Did that test today. (Well the listening part of it, we had our trials ages ago, this was a normal (and final) assessment).

Oh well if you heard one of the practice tapes I got that would be considered average (the tape was inaudable, they were that fast). I hope that the HSC standard (as I also did 2001 and 2002 past papers) are lower than Masumi's though.

Good luck to all who haven't done it but are going to.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
there isn't a listening component in the hsc exams

edit: oh yea sorry i thought you were talking about extension

Last edited:

hk31

HSC
yes there is...in continuers...
but you're right for extension

karnevil

HSC
have you lived in, or spent any time in japan, lexicographer?

if the answer to either is no, then i dont think youd 'kill' it ! Two years (minimum.. ive done it for six solid years) of high school jap is nothing in the real world mate !

Last edited:

hk31

HSC
yea...lex has been in japan...for 3weeks?
he went to our sister school in japan..

but he may have been to japan at other times....not quite sure about this...

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
studying a language and actually communicating are two different things although some could argue they should be the same. meh studying japanese is much worse than communicating :(

karnevil

HSC
lol 3weeks.. ive been there for that long and my jap is pretty damn good.... none of us here could be fluent communicators i dun reckon !!!!! which sucks i guess

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Not to be immodest, but languages are probably my only fort. You see I'm quite adept at mentally switching languages (I learned English, number 3, in preschool) and so was able to pick up Japanese rather quickly while there. Of course, immersion is the fastest teacher ;)

There's a story about me coming back from Japan, but this may not be the best place for it, so I won't use it. It shall suffice to say that one may speak with near fluency after some immersion, but when the person is removed from that immersion the fluency will be lost.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
from the mouth of Kenny G

Oh, I just remembered. A non-native speaker will usually begin dreaming (and hence thinking) in a target language after about three months of immersion. However, if they are accustomed to operating in multiple languages (that is, frequently switching between two or more), they will ordinarily find it easier to adopt a new tongue.

Last edited:

karnevil

HSC
funny how i started dreaming in japanese after a week of being in japan.. too bad i was only there for 3weeks all up eh

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I had the same! It was so weird, because when I came home my parents told me I'd been dream-talking in Japanese and I hadn't noticed at all. The cool bit was having the Jap exam the day after returning to Australia. I kind of haven't bothered studying Jap since, hence my disastrously mediocre marks.

karnevil

HSC
looks like youre concentrating more on filling your posts here with huge english words.. maybe you need to focus a bit more on your japanese words :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sorry if I sound pompous, this is just how I talk. My vocabulary in Japanese is ok, I tend to screw up in grammar. That is to say, I got so used to informal speech that I forgot how to properly use particles and such. I'm not capable of being fluently polite anymore.

karnevil

HSC
yeah i think that would be a big trap to fall into... altho ill be there for a yr in 2007 and i kno ill be wrapped up in casual conversation...... fun fun fun !!!!

pera pera ni naritaiiiii

kt san

sorry ppl, but i was wondering, if the listening trials dun by those ladies was hard, then what kinda mark out of 25 would be considered band six

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)