• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Troube choosing subjects for non-award... (1 Viewer)

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I'm applying for non-award this year, and having a bit of trouble choosing subjects. All the info I have is what I've read in the handbook.

I want to hopefully get into BA- Psych, or do something psychology related in the future. The thing is, at this stage I'm not even 100% about what I wanna do, I have so many doubts and 'what ifs' about what course I choose in the future and I'm really confused about what I wanna do. Speaking to a few friends, they tell me they didn't put alot of thought into what course they did and said that my interests will probably change once I start doing various subjects. I just find that choosing a course is such a big decision, and though I don't have to make a decision now its kind of troubling jumping into uni not knowing what you wanna do.

Anyway, I'm choosing 2 Philosophy subjects and I don't know what else to do, nothing really that can contribute to anything psychology related so I'm wondering how people chose their subjects, is it even that important what subjects I choose for non-award?

Any help or input appreciated!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
If you want to eventually do psych, I would recommend doing STAT170, just to get the first year stat component out of the way, leaving you more freedom -well, not as much stress- when you get into your BA-Psych.

Apart from that, you are correct, nothing else really will help your psych degree. Personally, I did ANTH106 (drugs across culture) and SOC180 (intro. to pop society and culture), and surprisingly, I found that these gave me a bit of a grounding in some of the second year psych units - for example, social psych uses a lot of the same theorists in SOC180 to explain various social phenomena. ANTH106 was great regarding the neuro basis of psych - how drugs affect your system, the positives and negatives, and it was just generally extremely informative.

In the end, a non award is just there to give you a taste of uni to see whether it really is suitable for you. Just pick some units that sound interesting on face value and do them. As to whether its important as to which units you do: its best to pick subjects you're interested in, or otherwise you wont pass your subjects, and wont be able to transfer into MQ properly. Apart from that, the subjects wont have any other ramifications regarding your eventual degree.

jinghuang

HSC
N/A
I agree with MaryJane, besides STAT170, PSY104 and PSY105 would be good choices.

X

xeuyrawp

jinghuang said:
PSY104 and PSY105 would be good choices.
You can't do PSY units in first-year non-award.

I would add that you must be careful to do units you know you will like. If you fail a unit in first-year non-award, remember that you not only destroy your chances of a future transfer from BA to BA-Psych, but also may get yourself kicked out (failing a unit may preclude you from continuing non-award).

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
Yep I've been taking most of the recommedations for non-award, part time 2 subjects per semester for the year.

And statistics is something I definitely will not enjoy, so I don't know if do it until I really immerse myself in my studies.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I suggest playing to your strengths at this stage, there is no reason to do anything rash, and since you wont be able to complete the two psych cores, then starting a year late (with electives in the hand) isn't such a bad start.

If you don't feel comfortable with stat170 at this stage, try and do something else that you are interested in, no point wasting that year/money.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
kaspa_lee said:
Hi,
I'm applying for non-award this year, and having a bit of trouble choosing subjects. All the info I have is what I've read in the handbook....
First off, Hi. Welcome to BoS -- we're all friendly and only nibble, rather than bite. ;) Secondly, welcome to MQ.

Essentially, I agree with everything everyone's saying. However, I'd worry about doing Stat. Obviously, in a non-award, you need to come out with a GPA of 2 (passes), or, to get into a Psych degree (BA-Psych or BSc-Psych), 2.5 (ie 2 credits, 2 passes).

Re: Stat170
A LOT of people have troubles with STAT170. I've talked to MJ (Maryjane, above) about this many a time, and I think it's because it's so different to the maths that we come across in high school (Was for me, anyway. This won't apply if you've done stats before... ie you know the meaning of a "significant" difference, in statistical terms.). MJ thinks, also, that the unit's badly designed. Probably both, but regardless, I've heard that a lot of people have troubles with Stat170. That's important info for you as a non-award student: if, on the off chance you're one of the "lot of people" who have troubles iwth it, you may be limiting your chances of articulating into your desired degree, at the end of your non-award.

Put more simply, if you choose the harder units in your Non-award, there's a potential you'll fail (there is with every unit, but moreso with the harder ones, and the ones you know you mightn't like), and therefore the potential you'll not be accepted into a degree.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If im not mistaken, its more of 'applied' maths rather than the 'theoretical' maths (or the other useless maths) that we learnt from high school ?

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
I had the worst maths back in high school anyway, I failed 3 unit miserably.

Well the cut-off date is quite soon, I chose anthropology, drugs across cultures and phil society morality for first semester and i chose statistics and phil - critical thinking for second semester.

I was told that I could change my subjects before semesters begin or I have 3 weeks to change after its commenced? Can someone confirm this? So I just put down anything for second semester but I might change stats to something else...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
just by reading your sig, i'd say you wont have problems with stat, in terms of difficulty, but perhaps with time management/other commitments/lazyness.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, if anything it might be the workload that gets to you rather than the subjects.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Yeah, if anything it might be the workload that gets to you rather than the subjects.
No, it'll will be his terrible attitude. As if dropping out of 2 schools and TAFE is something to be proud of.

Maybe if he learns to treat himself and his education with respect, he might actually get somewhere in life.

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
If you know anything about computers, do ISYS123. I did it in 1st yr and it was dead easy. I suppose it's not all that interesting if you don't like computers but it will be very easy to pass. (i.e. half the course is learning how to use microsoft word, excel, the internet... you'll get there eventually... lol).

If you tell us where your interests lie, then we may be able to better recommend subjects... i.e. maths, english, science, modern history, ancient history, philosophy, etc.

I think Pwaryuex is right... if you come to MQU, don't be complacent as it will only waste your time and money, as well as others. Put the effort in and make a go at subjects that you will enjoy as you may not be given another opportunity.

Goodluck

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
Yep well I do have the right attitude, I just had depression issues that started back in highschool and various other problems as well. Also, I WILL kill myself if I dropout again because I don't know how my self-esteem can cope with it, plus I don't wanna waste my parents money. I see it as a shot to kind've 'redeem' myself.

2 subjects per semester, I mean that's a workload that should be easily maintained right? I mean even for any subjects... However the computer subjects may be a good idea as I was working in IT for a while.

My interests lie within philosophy, psychology related areas however my english isn't that great (as I'd like it to be) but its something that I want to improve upon.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think the difference between high school and uni is that in uni you are treated as an equal and for the most part it is stuff you want to do.

PHIL132 is a good intro into the Ethics and Morality section of the Philosophy department, its somewhat easy, and is focused more on your ability to retell the basic concepts introduced to you. You don't need to write complicated or extroverted, a simple, clear sentence is harder, and more effective, than one which is disjuncted and contrived.

Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)