Truss Method of Sections (2013 q23 a engineering) (1 Viewer)

Jig

HSC
1570513298519.png
1570513340681.png
That's the sample answer, and it says BC=0. What I am I doing wrong in finding BC? I'm using method of sections where I've cut through BC. And this is my equation (which is wrong):

Jig

HSC
And also, they're analysing joint C?? I though BC goes through C so how can you analyse joint C since BC goes through C?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
And also, they're analysing joint C?? I though BC goes through C so how can you analyse joint C since BC goes through C?
If you just look at the sum of the forces at C, note that the only vertical load would be present in member BC. Since the point C must be in static equilibrium, then the sum of the forces at C must equal 0. Hence, BC = 0.

StudyOnly

HSC
Just cut the beams AB, BC and CD diagonally. Then if you take the moments about A, F(AB) and F(CD) go through A so they don't count. The only force that counts is F(BC), but we know the moment about A must be 0, meaning F(BC) = 0.

OR

You can do method of joints at C, since there are no vertical forces F(BC) = 0, because sum of vertical forces has to equal 0 at every joint.

Jig

HSC
Just cut the beams AB, BC and CD diagonally. Then if you take the moments about A, F(AB) and F(CD) go through A so they don't count. The only force that counts is F(BC), but we know the moment about A must be 0, meaning F(BC) = 0.
What about that 2.5kN force? Why do we disregard that?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
What about that 2.5kN force? Why do we disregard that?
When you do the method of sections, I believe you're only analysing the forces at where the cuts are made. You're cutting through the members, and hence you're only looking at the axial forces along those members. You're not cutting through point B, so the force at B isn't taken into consideration.

I could be wrong (it's been a decade since I've taken an engineering statics course). I always prefer to use the method of joints since its more intuitive.

StudyOnly

HSC
When you do the method of sections, I believe you're only analysing the forces at where the cuts are made. You're cutting through the members, and hence you're only looking at the axial forces along those members. You're not cutting through point B, so the force at B isn't taken into consideration.

I could be wrong (it's been a decade since I've taken an engineering statics course). I always prefer to use the method of joints since its more intuitive.
This.

Since we are analysing the left hand side of the diagonal cut. I'll attach an image to make it easier.img.png

Jig

HSC

This.

Since we are analysing the left hand side of the diagonal cut. I'll attach an image to make it easier.
Ok wow that helps a lot thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)