tutoring "difficult" kids... (1 Viewer)

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
as title suggests, I seem to have picked up a lot of really irritating kids... I'm doing the vast majority of it through my school, sort of as a good will gesture. sure as hell not for the pay... anyhoo, these kids almost refuse to comprehend what they're being told, like it's beneath them to understand something that they previously couldn't.
any ideas on how to get concepts/ideas across & how to deal with pain in the ass kids who do the "but why", "but why" ad infinitum... :burn:
thanks

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
tell them it'll be in the test. that usually gets them all fresh and alert. or, u could just beat em up.

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
breaking said:
a few good blows to the face/ribs/stomach/genital area should make them lift their game.
have contemplated that. repeatedly. the only consolation is when they don't turn up, and I go home ~40 dollars richer for doing nothing :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I refuse to tutor kids like that.

My attitude is if you're there at that desk with me, you better be prepared to learn. If it doesn't work, I speak with the parents. If the same thing happens, I drop them. I'm a tutor (i.e someone who helps them if they're behind or gives them extension knowledge if they're bright) NOT a discipliner.

That's how tutoring was when I was tutored in high school. I might not have enjoyed it much but I knew I sucked at maths so it wasn't an option to play up or be some annoying brat in tutoring.

circusmind

HSC
Unless you're getting paid on the basis of the kids' grades, I fail to see the problem here.....

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
what year, what subject, are these kids in graded classes and if so do u know which one?

what are you doing to help them comprehend 'it'?
years 10/11/12. science (10), chem/maths methods/physics/general maths/english/further maths. some of the kids are esl/spec.ed. otherwise there is no grading.
with the esl/se I use lots of diagrams,flowcharts on how to tackle questions, try to highlight what they need to look for in worded qs. I keep in touch with the teachers so I they're up to date with sac's/get some sample questions we can go through.

with them I understand that it's harder for them to wrap they're heads around whatever it is, but it's the others who just refuse to see things.
and I can't ditch them as they are friends/siblings of friends... ugly situation. Probably drop them after this year, but have to get through it first.

circusmind: I'm not being paid on grades (who'd do that??) but it's just irritating that they're not letting me help them/I can't do what I meant to. they'll regret it eventually I'm sure...

Last edited:

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
liverpool3k said:
as title suggests, I seem to have picked up a lot of really irritating kids... I'm doing the vast majority of it through my school, sort of as a good will gesture. sure as hell not for the pay... anyhoo, these kids almost refuse to comprehend what they're being told, like it's beneath them to understand something that they previously couldn't.
any ideas on how to get concepts/ideas across & how to deal with pain in the ass kids who do the "but why", "but why" ad infinitum... :burn:
thanks
i previously tutored two kids exactly with the same description you have given, talk to their parents, its serious, i did...it sorta worked. or tell them you are thinking of raising the charges, i've never done that, i sent a letter to the rents, and they spoke to me and disiplined the child a little and the other kid i called the rents and complained, in my experience that worked best.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
smack them across the head:) Good old traditional teaching

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Start charging money. And if you do then double it.

No point wasting your time for nothing :)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
S1M0 said:
Start charging money. And if you do then double it.

No point wasting your time for nothing :)
are you under the impression that people tutor for free?...??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)