Umat 2018 (1 Viewer)

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
Hi for those of you who have sat the UMAT before, how different or similar did you find it to Medentry?
Is section 1 of real UMAT harder or easier than Medentry.
And section 3 patterns are similar to Medentry?
Thanks

chefcurry30

HSC
Hey there, I sat the UMAT last year and I found that the level of difficulty for section 3 was quite similar to MedEntry, and the same techniques can be used in the actual exam. From what I know, section 3 doesn't really ever change in the sense that the same patterns are used by ACER every year, whereas sections 1 and 2 often change from year to year, as ACER decides to change the emphasis of their questions in those 2 sections. From what I can recall, section 1 wasn't harder nor easier than MedEntry, but there were a few type of questions I hadn't seen in the MedEntry exams and drills so for those ones you just have to figure them out on the day. However section 1 definitely took me the longest to complete by far. Overall my advice to you would be to try and get as quick as possible at section 3 because this is the section that can be prepared for the most, and also do your best to avoid spending too much time for section 2 as well, as often it will come down to 2 answer options. This way you can leave the most time for section 1, which most people find takes the most time to finish. Hope I answered your questions and best of luck for the UMAT!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I sat umat in 2017. Section 1 of real umat was easier imo than medentry and other resources. Section 2 was similar but I found it soo hard. Section 3 was around the same imo.

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
Thank you so much you guys are amazing! I’m trying to get quicker at section 3 from Medentry.

Is there any way I can improve on section 2? medentry is apparently different to the actual umat right?
Few more questions: Does section 1 have a lot of graphical and logical reasoning questions like in Medentry or is it mainly problem solving? (Problem solving scares me because you either get it or you dont)
And for section 3 what types of questions does the majority of S3 make up? Is it pick the middle or missing segment or next in series or are all of them tested equally?

Thank you so much again, so helpful.

chefcurry30

HSC
From what I can remember, last year's UMAT S2 had less emphasis on vocabulary and knowing definitions of words. Also, the texts were shorter in comparison to MedEntry, meaning that you really have to understand the text well in order to get the questions right. Section 1 had a combination of problem solving, interpreting graphs and logical reasoning. And to answer your last question S3 had a bit of everything.

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
From what I can remember, last year's UMAT S2 had less emphasis on vocabulary and knowing definitions of words. Also, the texts were shorter in comparison to MedEntry, meaning that you really have to understand the text well in order to get the questions right. Section 1 had a combination of problem solving, interpreting graphs and logical reasoning. And to answer your last question S3 had a bit of everything.
Thanks again! Just to clarify, did you mean that last year there was emphasis on knowing tricky words?
I hope this year’s test will be fair :)

aoc

HSC
Don't neglect vocab obviously but the hardest word in the paper was solicitous. Everything else was legit just normal words. There was a higher emphasis on knowing exactly what the person in the passage felt because when i looked at the answers most of them usually sounded right and had some evidence in the passage(but theres only 1 right answer lol)

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
Don't neglect vocab obviously but the hardest word in the paper was solicitous. Everything else was legit just normal words. There was a higher emphasis on knowing exactly what the person in the passage felt because when i looked at the answers most of them usually sounded right and had some evidence in the passage(but theres only 1 right answer lol)
Oh I see! Thank you. Do you have any tips/suggestions on how to pick the right answer when two of them seem right? I feel like this is where most of my marks go, because I'm unable to decipher the correct answer out of the two.

chefcurry30

HSC
Last year there wasn't an emphasis on knowing tricky words and most of the words were quite basic but as aoc said the answer options were quite similar and that's why you needed to have a very high understanding of the text to pick the correct option. Also when you're tossing up between two I feel like you just have to pick the one your gut tells you to pick and then just move on, or else it can be very easy to fall into the trap of wasting time deliberating which one is correct (which even then doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll pick the right option).

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
Last year there wasn't an emphasis on knowing tricky words and most of the words were quite basic but as aoc said the answer options were quite similar and that's why you needed to have a very high understanding of the text to pick the correct option. Also when you're tossing up between two I feel like you just have to pick the one your gut tells you to pick and then just move on, or else it can be very easy to fall into the trap of wasting time deliberating which one is correct (which even then doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll pick the right option).
That's so true, thanks man :)

aoc

HSC
Yeah i would love to give you advice on how to well in section 2 but i have no idea. In 2016 when i guessed most of them/relied on gut feeling i thought i bombed section 2 and ended up getting like 62 for it. In 2017 when i practiced more and gave more thought to my answers in the test i bombed and got 51. Its really hit or miss i reckon.

So i reckon if you dont think youre naturally good at s2, your best bet is what chefcurry said: dont deliberate, just pick 1 and move on

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
Yeah i would love to give you advice on how to well in section 2 but i have no idea. In 2016 when i guessed most of them/relied on gut feeling i thought i bombed section 2 and ended up getting like 62 for it. In 2017 when i practiced more and gave more thought to my answers in the test i bombed and got 51. Its really hit or miss i reckon.

So i reckon if you dont think youre naturally good at s2, your best bet is what chefcurry said: dont deliberate, just pick 1 and move on
Yeah I get you. Really just hoping for a 50 in Section 2 and I'll be stoked tbh because of how unpredictable it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)