Undergraduate Dentistry Options (1 Viewer)

cheerio

HSC
Hello, people of BOS!
I'm interested in pursuing a career in dentistry but I'm not sure which Universities (apart from USYD) that offer it and what ATAR and UMAT I would need. Is anyone currently studying undergraduate dentistry here?

helloimyellow

HSC
UQ offers BDsc. It's >99 ATAR (but you get bonus points for MX2 if you get E4 and also languages) threshold and also UMAT (no interview). I was one of the lowest, got 86 UMAT and just managed to scrape in. So yeah, aim for >90 UMAT and >99 ATAR :)

phoenix rising

HSC
Hi :)
Charles Sturt University (CSU) has undergrad Dentistry at their Orange campus - I don't know their specific entry requirements but I think you'll find the requirements a lot lower than USyd. They've only just introduced UMAT as an entry requirement too so I imagine they'd be quite lenient on UMAT scores. Have a look on their website! All of the students I've met appear highly competent and are incredibly professional so definitely consider it. Good luck :)

helloimyellow

HSC
How are you finding uni? :)
I'm liking it so far. Most of the cohort is interstate or international, and the cohort's fairly small (~70) so you get to know each other quickly - also, the whole dent cohort has the same classes (except for the really small tutorial groups and peer classes). Preclinic and clinic is also pretty cool, but there's more of a focus on communication with the patient instead of actual oral examination stuff in first semester.

cheerio

HSC
I'm liking it so far. Most of the cohort is interstate or international, and the cohort's fairly small (~70) so you get to know each other quickly - also, the whole dent cohort has the same classes (except for the really small tutorial groups and peer classes). Preclinic and clinic is also pretty cool, but there's more of a focus on communication with the patient instead of actual oral examination stuff in first semester.
Wow that sounds great!!

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
I have friends doing dent at Adelaide, James Cook (JCU) and also Griffith! They all love it but it sounds like a tough course lol

I also have a lot of friends at USYD doing combined dent and there are just some pointers you need to be aware of

-It is 7 years (unlike most dent courses) and you spend the first three doing a Science degree
-The advertised ATAR is 99.5 but in actual fact it is a bit higher than that (but on the other side there's no UMAT)

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi :)
Charles Sturt University (CSU) has undergrad Dentistry at their Orange campus - I don't know their specific entry requirements but I think you'll find the requirements a lot lower than USyd. They've only just introduced UMAT as an entry requirement too so I imagine they'd be quite lenient on UMAT scores. Have a look on their website! All of the students I've met appear highly competent and are incredibly professional so definitely consider it. Good luck :)
With CSU in your final year you travel to other CSU campuses to perform clinics, so you get to see a few different places!

cheerio

HSC
I have friends doing dent at Adelaide, James Cook (JCU) and also Griffith! They all love it but it sounds like a tough course lol

I also have a lot of friends at USYD doing combined dent and there are just some pointers you need to be aware of

-It is 7 years (unlike most dent courses) and you spend the first three doing a Science degree
-The advertised ATAR is 99.5 but in actual fact it is a bit higher than that (but on the other side there's no UMAT)
What were their ATAR and UMAT scores around?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)