• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

University in America. (2 Viewers)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I want to move to America and attend University there, so do I have to do their SAT test to get accepted? Also, do you get credit for the subjects you have completed in Australian Universities:confused:?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
yeh you gotta do the sat's and shit... do you have a good service record? cuz the usa take that into account.
my friend got accepted into a college there a cople weeks ago but he did the IB instead of HSC cuz hsc isnt recognised else where...
and he gets credit pts for some of his ib subjects...
so you might get uni ones too

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Orange Juice
yeh you gotta do the sat's and shit... do you have a good service record? cuz the usa take that into account.
my friend got accepted into a college there a cople weeks ago but he did the IB instead of HSC cuz hsc isnt recognised else where...
and he gets credit pts for some of his ib subjects...
so you might get uni ones too
By service record, do you mean a military service record:confused:?

What is IB:confused:? Maybe I should have done that instead of my HSC too:(.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the hsc marks in australia ARE acknowledged in the US actually but they usually have to be sky high to even be considered.

and an ib is the the international baccaluareate. these are hard to do cos its a more strenous process than the hsc and is offered only at a few schools . also the SAT's are only for school leavers, namely yr 12...its a different process to be accpeted AFTER u have commenced an australian degree

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
the hsc marks in australia ARE acknowledged in the US actually but they usually have to be sky high to even be considered.

and an ib is the the international baccaluareate. these are hard to do cos its a more strenous process than the hsc and is offered only at a few schools . also the SAT's are only for school leavers, namely yr 12...its a different process to be accpeted AFTER u have commenced an australian degree
So it sounds like I should have done that International Baccalaureate:(. It sounds like a lot of trouble to get accepted then. It might be easier if I actually move their first and then try to get accepted into a University:).

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
maybe u should apply and find an offer BEFORE u make the big move...unless u want to move to the US anyway.

Ashleet

HSC
you could always try an exchange program for a few years. you still live in the US and everything on a full time basis. i know that some unis in the U.S have courses which accept australian uni's credit and vice versa for the time you are over there, also this way you can sometimes get financial assistance and funding from the australian government too.

just an option.

santaslayer

HSC
u could try a study abroad program at ur skool for now...ie, your 'sister' university. and after u graduate then maybe u could try a MBA or woteva u prefer post graduate?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
maybe u should apply and find an offer BEFORE u make the big move...unless u want to move to the US anyway.
If my accreditations are not accepted over there, I have no chance of getting an offer though:(.

Originally posted by Ashleet
you could always try an exchange program for a few years. you still live in the US and everything on a full time basis. i know that some unis in the U.S have courses which accept australian uni's credit and vice versa for the time you are over there, also this way you can sometimes get financial assistance and funding from the australian government too.
Yeah, I heard about this, but do you have to stay with a family, or can you just stay on campus/wherever you want to:confused:? Also, I want to move to America anyway, so this might give me a chance to get citizenship:D.

Originally posted by santaslayer
u could try a study abroad program at ur skool for now...ie, your 'sister' university. and after u graduate then maybe u could try a MBA or woteva u prefer post graduate?
I don't think that my University has any "sister" Universities on the west coast of America though. The other thing is, aren't those study abroad programs only for one semester? Do you mean do a MBA overseas:)?

santaslayer

HSC
Study abroad can take from one semester to two semesters (1year) at UOW...maybe u should consider transferring to UOW? :D

yes thats what i meant...if it is possible thou...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Study abroad can take from one semester to two semesters (1year) at UOW...maybe u should consider transferring to UOW? :D
Yeah, that is still not long enough though, I want to actually move/live over there:). Do you know how long it takes to travel from Newcastle Wollongong:p!

yes thats what i meant...if it is possible thou...
That it too long into the future. I want to live there now:).

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
why do u want to go to america? its really not all its made out to be. All the americans are coming here to go to uni, maybe u should take that as a hint....

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
A LOT of American unis are shitloads better than our top unis (both teaching and ammenties)...hence we only tend to have links with the avg/crap ones. One major reason is cos a lot of em are private.

As my American business lecturer exaggerates(?): "our whole frickin uni is probably worth less than one of their buildings."

And Merethrond rox for having Brand New lyrics...awesome taste in music!

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
I doubt that the IB is too different to the HSC in terms of the amount of work required. It's a bit of a crock how with it you manage to get a UAI 'equivalent' without being ranked due to its 'earn what you deserve' mentality. (That last sentence may be wrong, very wrong, but eh, I hate the schools that take the IB path and then claim that they do not get the recognition that they 'deserve').

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Be under no illusions, the IB is a BITCH, more power to anyone that can get through it. It really does suck balls.

Also, HSC results are recognised worldwide. The reason you won't get into one of the 'good' American unis without them being sky-high is cos its tough competition just like here. You need amazing SAT scores (along with interviews, applications etc) to get into an Ivy League school so it makes sense that you would need an amazing UAI.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Well I heard in the IB you gotta do lots of volunteer work and stuff...and take a language, a science and a whole bunch of other things.

Sounds doable if you no other committments...

But with American unis, marks are a given...they consider your extra-curric activities, and you might have to do an interview and stuff.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
I doubt that the IB is too different to the HSC in terms of the amount of work required. It's a bit of a crock how with it you manage to get a UAI 'equivalent' without being ranked due to its 'earn what you deserve' mentality. (That last sentence may be wrong, very wrong, but eh, I hate the schools that take the IB path and then claim that they do not get the recognition that they 'deserve').
i think it is harder cuz theres so many ways of failing...and if you get below x you dont graduate...if that makes sense..

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
merethrond if you were to make it into a college... you do know its really expensive cuz your an international student....

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the IB is not to be underestimated in difficulty...it is a VERY tough course of study and even if u are in one of the best schools that offer it, u still have to go through so many processes simply to be ALLOWED to do the IB.

and merathrond, what sort of uni in america are u looking at? average quality or ivy league? i think unsw has links with boston uni...thats east coast and some uni (either usyd or maybe unsw) has connections with cornell uni, the lowest ranked ivy league uni apparently...

plus, the costs of attending are huuuuuuuuge, they dont have any sort of hecs system and the fees for international students are big.

the uai is not as important (it IS important, just not AS important) as HSC marks and exam marks. they look at the HSC marks more than the UAI...

Ashleet

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond

Yeah, I heard about this, but do you have to stay with a family, or can you just stay on campus/wherever you want to:confused:? Also, I want to move to America anyway, so this might give me a chance to get citizenship:D.
the living arrangements are up to you, but you are offered oncampus accom or living with a host family, but its a really good stepping stone into unis over there. plus it gives you a chance to get over there have a look around and get used to things before you make some big decisions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)