university preference for psychology: UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

oxy

HSC
Hi everybody,
Im curious as to which of the unis was preferred for psychology. I know this has been covered before, but only vaguely... Which uni is preferred in terms of:

*Course structure
*Potential salary of graduates (specifically first year)
*Candidate failure rate
*Difficulty in entry into honours and postgrad
*Relative difficulty of courses between unis
*Anything else relevant

And does anybody know how difficult the "research thesis" is in the later years? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

cayte

It's not really practical to ask a question like that because people will either defend or trash the course they are studying but are unable to compare it to that of the other uni. Talk to the course coordinators at the respective unis, look at the websites, don't just ask the students; we don't know. It's also possible to transfer to another uni if you find one doesn't suit you and once you've completed your undergrad you can do your postgrad at another uni also. My psych tutor last sem did her ug at unsw and was doing her honours I think at usyd.

I'd be more concerned about the associated lifestyle and atmosphere of the uni for undergrad.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want hard facts about salary and prospects, the new Good Uni;s Guide 2005 is out at newsagents. Have a browse.

There are limits to the intake of 4th year honours students, both for B.Arts(Psych) and B.Science(Psych). I think straight B.Psych students do 4 years anyway (someone correct me if I'm wrong). These limits should be in the science faculty handbooks (it is for USyd anyway..my gf is doing psych at sydney)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Al I know from a lecturer at UNSW is that UNSW has the largest Psyc faculty in Australia.
I did Pysc, it's too boring for me. hehehehe

but yeh, UNSW have some interesting lecturers. The course is manageable. Intake is about 50 a year at UNSW.

cayte

melbournian said:
That probabl has more to do with finding an appropriate thesis surpervisor with the relevant expertise. That is really the only way I believe that you can do your honours year at another uni.
More to do with it than what? Than the uni not suiting you? If you don't have a thesis supervisor at the uni at which you're currently studying the uni isn't going to be much good to you now is it. Your post barely makes sense.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Hi,
My answer is... do Psychology at UNSW, then UMQ then USYD.... my friend chose UMQ over USYD Psychology because she didn't get into UNSW... she rang around psychologists and hospitals and other such places.. I suggest you do the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)