• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

university syllabus? (1 Viewer)

slowcheetah

HSC
hey
well im hoping to be a uni student next year, and i was wondering do universities have a syllabus like the hsc does so we can see on paper exactly what we need to know for exams/assessments etc?

thanks for any help

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
depends on the course, some course outlines are very vague, some are very good.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
most of the time, there is no actual course outline.

LordPc

HSC
yep, the smaller courses dont even release their syllabus till right before the classes start because the lecturer decides in the lead up what they will teach. so its really hard to know exactly what will be taught and what wont be. in some cases it is just a list of topics

dolbinau

HSC
Yeah, I was surprised about this when I came to uni. If you absolutely rely on syllabuses then it will take a little bit to get used to...basically I've found just to trust the lecture notes.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yeah physics for me was good since they told us all the chapters we had to do for our course (ie. 9.1,9.2,9.5) etc. but for mecahnics its just 'chapter 9' but we omit some subchapters.

follow the lecture notes.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
a syllabus at my uni/faculty can be as minimal as one paragraph. yeh its a pain in the ass but you get used to it

hotdimsim

HSC
go for the subject outlines. their normally given to you in your first lecture. anycourse guides (like an undergrad handbook online) are too vague and only give you 'learning outcomes' and what the subjects teach you rather than specifics (ie you will study topic x based on book y page z)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)