UNSW cutoffs. (2 Viewers)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Are the published cutoffs recorded by uac the UAI after the hsc-plus points have been added or before?

because if it is after the possible 5 points can have been added.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
from what i understand from ur question, it is before the hsc-plus scheme is used.

ie;
i got 90.45 got bonus 5 points
got into course that was 95

BackCountrySnow

HSC
shinji said:
from what i understand from ur question, it is before the hsc-plus scheme is used.

ie;
i got 90.45 got bonus 5 points
got into course that was 95
Does anyone else think the hsc-plus scheme is just used to make unsw look better by having higher UAI cut-offs?

Sydney has no such thing, am i correct?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Does anyone else think the hsc-plus scheme is just used to make unsw look better by having higher UAI cut-offs?

as of 2008 usyd upgraded the flexible entry scheme to allow a certain number of people to get in below the cutoff if they did well in relevant hsc subjects. but it only applies to certain degrees, not to the highly competitive ones like commerce.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/apply/flexible.shtml

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Actually it applies to commerce. Doesn't apply to law/med and that commerce course with an exchange trip.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Triangulum said:
as of 2008 usyd upgraded the flexible entry scheme to allow a certain number of people to get in below the cutoff if they did well in relevant hsc subjects. but it only applies to certain degrees, not to the highly competitive ones like commerce.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/apply/flexible.shtml
Noone does those courses anyway.
My point is. If there was no hsc-plus scheme cutoffs would be well below usyd's. But with the hsc-plus it makes it seem as though the two are neck and neck.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
My point is. If there was no hsc-plus scheme cutoffs would be well below usyd's. But with the hsc-plus it makes it seem as though the two are neck and neck.
Look at the cutoffs before the system was introduced you douchebag.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Azamakumar said:
agreed.

o8ers. they think they know all. hahah

BackCountrySnow

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
Estimated cutoffs are different from real cutoffs when uai's are released. You may thank the system if you get admitted through hsc plus
I'm talking about cutoffs published in the last uac guide.

Azamakumar said:
What does the cutoffs before the system prove?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Why do you care? Work hard in your HSC get a good UAI and get into whichever uni you want in whatever course you want

HSC
Omium said:
Why do you care? Work hard in your HSC get a good UAI and get into whichever uni you want in whatever course you want
are you saying you didn't check the cut off's before you did your hsc? if you tell me you didn't you are lying or an idiot hence going for the former but a post like the one above does possibly suggest the latter.

D.Buff

Understated.
HSC
N/A
Remember cutoffs are also based on demand for the course.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
are you saying you didn't check the cut off's before you did your hsc? if you tell me you didn't you are lying or an idiot hence going for the former but a post like the one above does possibly suggest the latter.
omg, Well duh i checked the cut-off.... The reason for my post was
ifsonotso_100 said:

ifsonotso_100 said:
Hence why i said Work hard and go to whichever course you want in whatever uni you want

BackCountrySnow

HSC
D.Buff said:
Remember cutoffs are also based on demand for the course.
The cutoff is the lowest accepted UAI to get into a course (although there have been odd cases), what I'm saying is that unsw raises the UAI marks of most students by atleast 2 pts and hence makes their courses look more sought after then they really are.

HSC
Omium said:
omg, Well duh i checked the cut-off.... The reason for my post was

Hence why i said Work hard and go to whichever course you want in whatever uni you want
trolled lol

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
The cutoff is the lowest accepted UAI to get into a course (although there have been odd cases), what I'm saying is that unsw raises the UAI marks of most students by atleast 2 pts and hence makes their courses look more sought after then they really are.
You are correct in that the lowest accepted UAI of a course becomes the cut-off for that course for a given year. However, you are not correct in saying those cut-offs have been inflated by 2 points due to HSC-plus. The cut-offs are already determined when enough students filled the normal quota (cut-off determined and published). In most courses, there are a few reserved spots, which are available for students in need who did not make the cut off, including those under the ACCESS scheme and the HSC plus scheme. After the addition of the so-called "imaginary" UAI points, the top few students fill the remaining reserved spots for that course. Therefore, the ACCESS Scheme or the HSC-plus scheme have no bearing on the outcome of the official UAI cut-offs.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
The official UAI cutoffs are just that, the official UAI cutoffs without any extra points entry schemes. The HSC Plus scheme adds points onto what is published by UAC. It's not hard to figure out; use your brain.

There's no point in UNSW inflating the cutoffs to make it seems as though the course is more sought-after. It only denies them potential students which then decreases potential revenue to be made etc etc. If anything, the cutoffs are lower than they should be becuase of the HSC Plus scheme which is almost an autmoatic 5 points to anyone who is within range of a 95 UAI anyway.

Now go away, stop asking stupid, pointless and irrelevant questions, and focus on your HSC. You don't need to worry about Uni cutoffs until you hit about September.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)