unsw med program (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
hey guys, i was wondering what the new med program at unsw is like, how it differs from the one that was implemented up until 2002. i noticed that the science degree has been axed, so is it less 'scientific' in the traditional sense? in any case, does BSc component really matter, i mean is it fundamental to med? does anyone have a preference for the new program?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
u might wanna pm skywalker about this
im sure he could tell you all about it...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
geez havent been here in awhile. need to study.. but? hehe.. ah wellz.
heyhey wilson. enjoyin uni yah?

the BSc is still available if you do the honours program in 3rd or 4th year. but no it's not fundamental, the important deg is the med degree. BSc is a bonus.

haha.. less scientific.. it sounds like we're gonna graduate knowing no science yah?

i think... and this if jus my take on it... the main diff is in the style of teaching. the old course taught med traditionally; you did subjects like you would at school, doin anatomy, pathology, biochemistry and so on. u prolli know we do SBL now, and everything's integrated. so we'll have lessons from all the different disciplines but they'll all relate back to a specific scenario. all the science is still there i think, jus spread out more... and u only focus on the relevent stuff...

if u want to have a good time, i reckon it's a top course (i mean.. an 8-week 'foundations' course which doesnt count? brilliant yah? hehe). but if u want a course where u do hardcore learning, maybe u should check out the other unis ^^

inasero

Reborn
HSC
^thats what im guessing yep if you dont want sociology try melb uni or newcastle
many students at monash (like at UNSW) complained that the courses had been "dumbed down" because of these elements, but thats the way it is in most unis because the courses must move in line with societys expectations for more empathetic doctors...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
meh its the same around the country.. if u want to learn anything u got to do it ureself..
by the time we are done we will kno how the patients feel.. pity we wont hav a clue bout wats hurtin them..

hey yewon :p and wilson ;)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
heehe.. our lecturer told us today ongoin learning never works, so we'll be at the 'peak of our career' in terms of knowledge when we graduate. it's pretty worrying. alvin u comin up for midsession yah?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha when we graduate wat? our post grad or MBBS?

yes im coming back for midsession :) its my bday :D
hehe i get to read journals and count it as work.. and new scientist :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)