UNSW or UTS Engineering? (1 Viewer)

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Hey guys,

I am curious to get some knowledge on the engineering courses in UNSW and UTS. I've heard good things about both universities in terms of engineering accomplishments. I personally have UNSW as my first UAC option, however I'm also considering UTS as a worthy back-up in case I don't get the required ATAR for UNSW. So which university is ultimately better in terms of student experience and employability?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think UNSW Engineering is definitely seen as highly reputable by a lot of individuals and organisations. In terms of rankings, QS ranks UNSW as 36th worldwide for Engineering and Technology, whereas UTS is ranked 120th. While UNSW is ranked higher, this doesn't mean that UTS Engineering is a bad study option. Both universities are good and well-reputed. Another difference between the two universities is that UNSW is a Go8 university while UTS is not.

Ultimately, employability also depends on your own performance at university. There is no point in studying engineering at UNSW if you aren't able to get good marks there when instead you could have studied and performed well at UTS. GPA/WAM could make a crucial difference between you and another job candidate. In such a case, you would want your marks to be as high as possible, which implies the need for consistently good performance throughout your time at university. That said, having UNSW as your first preference on UAC and UTS as your backup sounds pretty good, particularly if UNSW is your dream university.

I hope this helps! :D

okayokay123

HSC
I think UNSW Engineering is definitely seen as highly reputable by a lot of individuals and organisations. In terms of rankings, QS ranks UNSW as 36th worldwide for Engineering and Technology, whereas UTS is ranked 120th. While UNSW is ranked higher, this doesn't mean that UTS Engineering is a bad study option. Both universities are good and well-reputed. Another difference between the two universities is that UNSW is a Go8 university while UTS is not.

Ultimately, employability also depends on your own performance at university. There is no point in studying engineering at UNSW if you aren't able to get good marks there when instead you could have studied and performed well at UTS. GPA/WAM could make a crucial difference between you and another job candidate. In such a case, you would want your marks to be as high as possible, which implies the need for consistently good performance throughout your time at university. That said, having UNSW as your first preference on UAC and UTS as your backup sounds pretty good, particularly if UNSW is your dream university.

I hope this helps! :D
What are your thoughts on USYD vs UNSW for engineering?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
What are your thoughts on USYD vs UNSW for engineering?
I believe there is a tendency to label USyd as a more academically-focused university in terms of engineering whereas UNSW is seen as a more practical university. I would believe UNSW to be the superior university in this particular field, which would be consistent with the fact that UNSW is ranked 1st in Australia for Engineering (QS).

However, as I mentioned above with UNSW vs UTS, studying engineering at either UNSW or USyd is likely to be a very rewarding experience, with good employment prospects, particularly if you are capable of achieving good marks throughout your time at university, resulting in a favourable WAM.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Your preferences are fine, UNSW/USYD/UTS are all pretty good for engineering.

But if UNSW is your top pick, and think that you would consider transferring if you missed out, I would prioritise USyd over UTS for your second option. You'll have less trouble with credit recognition going between GO8 unis as they want to allow that mobility. With UTS -> UNSW, you might find that some subjects don't have a direct equivalent.

I think UNSW Engineering is definitely seen as highly reputable by a lot of individuals and organisations. In terms of rankings, QS ranks UNSW as 36th worldwide for Engineering and Technology, whereas UTS is ranked 120th.
I'd be skeptical of relying too much on rankings. The methodology isn't necessarily representative of either how the university is viewed by employers or the quality of education you will receive. They can also be pretty subjective.

For example, the Shanghai Rankings (Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2021) provides a counter example to the rankings you have provided. In that ranking system, UTS is the top ranked university in Australia for Computer Science & Engineering at 11th worldwide. Usyd is the second at 38th worldwide, and UNSW is the fifth in Australia at somewhere between 50-75th worldwide.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd be skeptical of relying too much on rankings. The methodology isn't necessarily representative of either how the university is viewed by employers or the quality of education you will receive. They can also be pretty subjective.

For example, the Shanghai Rankings (Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2021) provides a counter example to the rankings you have provided. In that ranking system, UTS is the top ranked university in Australia for Computer Science & Engineering at 11th worldwide. Usyd is the second at 38th worldwide, and UNSW is the fifth in Australia at somewhere between 50-75th worldwide.
If rankings were the sole basis for my suggestion, I myself would've been studying at a Go8 university like USyd instead of WSU. I have not indicated that rankings are a crucial thing to consider when determining one's preferences/priorities as I am aware that there are several ranking lists and each of those lists ranks universities differently (another example being WSU Nursing - ranked 51-100th worldwide by QS as opposed to 1st in Australia and 4th worldwide by Center for World University Rankings). I was merely providing general information about each university, while emphasising that both UNSW and UTS are well-reputed universities and that OP's experience will likely be quite rewarding irrespective of the university, provided they achieve good marks throughout their time at university, leading to a good GPA/WAM.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If rankings were the sole basis for my suggestion, I myself would've been studying at a Go8 university like USyd instead of WSU. I have not indicated that rankings are a crucial thing to consider when determining one's preferences/priorities as I am aware that there are several ranking lists and each of those lists ranks universities differently (another example being WSU - ranked 51-100th worldwide by QS as opposed to 1st in Australia and 4th worldwide by Center for World University Rankings). I was merely providing general information about each university, while emphasising that both UNSW and UTS are well-reputed universities and that OP's experience will likely be quite rewarding irrespective of the university, provided they achieve good marks throughout their time at university, leading to a good GPA/WAM.
Yeah, understood, i'm just pointing out that many year 12 students put a lot of merit in those league tables, but they can be misleading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)