• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW Village (1 Viewer)

JaidenC

HSC
Hey, I hope to study at UNSW next year...
Does anyone know how early you need to apply for accommodation in UNSW Village to secure a spot?
Is it even possible for a first year to get in on the first semester, or does it fill up too fast?

I assume you have to be enrolled at the Uni before you can apply for accom. there which makes me wonder if I will be able to get in as a first year.

Thanks

Blob-Bob

HSC
N/A
I only recently moved out of UNSW Village (stuck with a whole bunch of crazy curries, and just sick of the noise and party-everyday atmosphere) after living there for over a year.

How early in advance to apply for a room? Well, it depends on what room/ apartment you want. The fussier you are the earlier you should get in so it'll be easier for the admin to accommodate you. Studios - 4 bedders fill up in no time. 5 - 8 bedders fill up eventually.

A little advice: Living on campus can be great. But just do your research and be selective as to which student accomms you choose to apply for. If you like meeting new people, getting involved and parties, then living at the village can be a great experience. But..the downside is that you'd have to compromise big-time with the noise and generally inconsiderate drunk/ stoned people loitering around the village. This can be severely annoying when trying to study for exams.

Also, the village is just full of BS drama. From the male receptionists with yellow fever trying to get every Asian tail walking by to security getting stoned with curries...it's super hectic when you get sucked in lol.

But I guess the idea of waking up 15 mins before your classes and still getting there on time is extremely appealing.

EDIT:

Oh, and I got into the village as a first year. You can apply even if you haven't been accepted into UNSW yet and secure a room for yourself. If it turns out you don't get into UNSW, then they'll return your deposit (provided you've notified them in writing within 3-7 days of finding out and moved out of your room if you've already moved in) and you can be on your merry way.

Last edited:

JaidenC

HSC
Well, I basically just want relatively comfortable living on campus, and the village seems to be fairly modern. Plus, I really don't like the idea of religious college living with cafeterias, etc....sounds too much like high school, and that's the last thing I want.
But yeah, I wont know anybody when I move down there, so any way of meeting people would be good, but at the same time, I like to have personal time to myself to study, etc... so yeah, I guess I'll have to think about it. Does UNSW have any non religious or non denominational colleges?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW Village is pretty non-religious I think.

OMFG7891

HSC
None of the Kensington Colleges are Religious. It can be noisy at times but for the most part you can get a study done, or you can go out, both are an option everyday of the week. Although the weekends are usually for study and most people stay in. I didn't know anyone coming to Sydney this year but moving into College was definitley a good choice. You meet so many people really quickly so you make friends almost instantly. I wouldn't say living in college is like high school, the only real similarity is that you see everyone everyday and everyone kind of forms their own social group after a few weeks, but everyone gets along well. I don't think New College is religious, but they're more keen on study and whatnot because they're dry..that said they can get just as rowdy as the kensos and they take part in some of the joint college events.

That said, the village looks pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)